Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best bandsaw on a budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Abbott View Post
    I am looking at the Grizzly http://grizzly.amazonwebstore.com/Gr...B0000DD0AC.htm

I don't think it can be beat for $395.00.
    For $395.00, I agree. It can't be beat. I'm no band saw expert by any means. That's an excellent BS for that price.

But, I'd suggest that you ask yourself and really think about what you want to DO with a BS and what you expect it to do for you. For example, how much re-sawing are you going to do and what width boards do you expect the saw to to handle for re-sawing?
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    I recently purcahsed a Rikon 10-325 and am very pleased with it. I wanted a saw that I could maneuver myself in a pinch and was able to get it into my basement shop. If I had the space and didn't care about the weight, I would've picked up the Jet 18". They sell one with a 1 3/4 motor that was maybe ~$1100.
    JET had a big price increase a few months ago. That saw is now a little over $1,500
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I am looking at the Grizzly http://grizzly.amazonwebstore.com/Gr...B0000DD0AC.htm

I don't think it can be beat for $395.00.
    Buy the riser block kit at the same time. Buy some 105" woodslicer blades because the stock blades are, well, deficient.

Plan on upgrading the fence. I made a bolt-on fence that rides on the original -- for resawing.

I also think the table is entirely too small. I'm planning on beefing that up very soon now (tm).

Finally, read and watch everything you can get your hands on about tuning up your bandsaw. You'll never get the resaw results you want until you have your equipment tuned.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Buy the riser block kit at the same time. Buy some 105" woodslicer blades because the stock blades are, well, deficient.

Plan on upgrading the fence. I made a bolt-on fence that rides on the original -- for resawing.

I also think the table is entirely too small. I'm planning on beefing that up very soon now (tm).

Finally, read and watch everything you can get your hands on about tuning up your bandsaw. You'll never get the resaw results you want until you have your equipment tuned.
    I plan to purchase the riser block kit and some new blades. I may or may not replace the fence. A tune-up is always a must. That is the saw I plan to purchase to replace my aging band saw unless something used pops up on Craigslist before I pull the trigger on the new Grizzly.

I think I will also convert my old band saw into a metal cutting saw when I come across the right motor.

I plan to purchase the riser block kit and some new blades. I may or may not replace the fence. A tune-up is always a must. That is the saw I plan to purchase to replace my aging band saw unless something used pops up on Craigslist before I pull the trigger on the new Grizzly.
    The stock fence is pretty-much useless. I never use it. I'm also planning to replace the stock stand with a super-heavy cabinet with drawers for blades and various jigs. Again, that's another "very soon now (tm)" project.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    The stock fence is pretty-much useless. I never use it. I'm also planning to replace the stock stand with a super-heavy cabinet with drawers for blades and various jigs. Again, that's another "very soon now (tm)" project.
    Damn, the fence sure looks good in the picture! I will keep it in mind and if I don't get the cuts I want I will pick up a Kreg.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Grizzly G0512X2. A beast of a saw for a song of a price!!

I think one of the G0513s would work out great for under a grand. I also have the G0513x2 and love it.

Personally I don't mind the stock fence that came with my G0555. I have cut a piece of melamine to clamp on when resawing. But the fence stays put when locked and is pretty acurate. I agree that the table is small but for a sub $400 saw that is what you get, however the table is big enough to get the job done. I was worried about the open stand when I bought the saw but it is very soild, making a stand with storage underneth is a real good idea. Just don't but the shop fox mobile base grizzly reccomends. It is a pile of junk, the metal base is good but the castors are junk. They don't roll nice at all and swivel like %$#@ also, make your own base with good castors.