Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jigsaws -- Bosch vs Festool

Another for Bosch

I have the 1587 and have used the 1590. They are both great saws, though the 1590 blade release is much more convenient. Can't go wrong with it.

Haven't used the Festool.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Michael, I own the Festool. It's a nice tool. In fact, it was my first Festool. But I think this is one place where the Bosch (with the blade guides) is probably a better choice....many folks have made that observation. Excellent performance, etc., The Festool may have an edge in controlling the blade better for very thick cuts, but otherwise there isn't a huge differentiation. Now, I'm not going to go and sell my Festool to get a Bosch...I like it and it does everything I ask of it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Bosch 1582VS barrel type saw is around 20 years old and still performs great. Clifford.

Blog Entries
    +1 on the 1591. Love it. Never knew a jigsaw was an acurate tool before I got this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    +1 on the 1591. Love it. Never knew a jigsaw was an acurate tool before I got this.
    I may have to spring for the Bosch. The DeWalt jigsaw I have now is a piece of junk. Going around a turn, the blade cuts at at slant, especially if the stock is a bit thick.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I may have to spring for the Bosch. The DeWalt jigsaw I have now is a piece of junk. Going around a turn, the blade cuts at at slant, especially if the stock is a bit thick.

Mike
    You won't be disappointed. And you'll find yourself reaching for a jigsaw FAR more often -- especially with those new Bosch "fine cutting" wood blades. They have a different tooth profile near the top where all the damage is normally done.

The Bosch jigsaw is one of those tools that falls into the "When I need it. I need it" category. It's not quite up to the "You can have my router when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" standard. But if the jigsaw died tomorrow, I'd buy a replacement immediately.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I have had about 5 tools manufacturers labeled as jig-saws over 38 years but... I didn't know what a jig-saw was until I purchased a Bosch barrel grip about 6 years ago. The others were given away as I would have felt guilty selling them claiming they were jig-saws.

With that said.. I tried the FT at IWF.. I prefer the Bosch. And as far as putting FT blades on the Bosch, Bosch makes the best jig-saw blades on the market. With the addition a year or so ago of the Bosch Extra Clean.. you can't go wrong as that blade leaves a perfect finish on both top and bottom exit. It's the only blade I buy for wood now but I do cut metal with my barrel grip using Bosch blades also. I have cut a ton of templates out with the combination.

Good luck...

Sarge..

8. I have owned Bosch jig saws off and on for many years. I currently have the barrel grip (1591) and can attest that it is a fine tool.

Last year I bought a new Festool jigsaw, also a barrel grip. I returned it a week later. I didn't like how you can't see the cut line with the dust collecting cover in place.

As far as other functionality goes, the two saws seem very close to me, so the price difference makes getting the Bosch a no-brainer decision.

I do own and appreciate a lot of Festool's other products.

I have had my Bosch jig saw almost 20 years. It cuts as true as the day I got it. I haven't stuck a cent into it. I like the d handle. That is just a personal preferrence. I don't have a bandsaw so it gets a work out. I have a friend that has 3 of the same age in his cabinet shop. They are still going great guns too.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

I am not trying to hijack the thread, but what about other types of barrel grip saws like the Makita? Are they any good?

I have the dust-collection clear plastic cover on my Bosch (similar to the Festool one) and you can't see the cutline with it on, either.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Frederiksen View Post
    I have owned Bosch jig saws off and on for many years. I currently have the barrel grip (1591) and can attest that it is a fine tool.

Last year I bought a new Festool jigsaw, also a barrel grip. I returned it a week later. I didn't like how you can't see the cut line with the dust collecting cover in place.

As far as other functionality goes, the two saws seem very close to me, so the price difference makes getting the Bosch a no-brainer decision.

I do own and appreciate a lot of Festool's other products.

Blog Entries
    A friend has the Bosch and just got the Festool. After using both, I can say that in my opinion, the Festool is certainly nice, but it isn't any better or cut any nicer than the Bosch.

One more question on jigsaws, please. Is there a cordless jig saw that works as well as the Bosch 1590/91? I'll even settle for "close to" as good as the 1590/91. There a times when I prefer to not have to deal with the cord.

I have a DeWalt cordless jigsaw and it's *censored*.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-04-2009 at 1:58 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

14. Dust control = Festool
    Otherwise Bosh

In guided circular saws, most sanders and the loose tenon Domino, Festool is way ahead of the game, in my opinion. In other tools, they may also be ahead -- but not enough for my hard earned cash.

I considered the Festool jig saw, but after looking it and the Bosch over carefully, my money went to Bosch. The fact that it was about half as much money was a very big factor, I might add!