Thread: All the talk about Monster Rig

All the talk about Monster Rig

Well, after wrestling with my Clark System this afternoon I sent Randy an email about purchasing his system. Seeing Sascha's and now just seeing Steve's mounted on the lathe I think it's time to go with another system. I'm probably going to go ahead and get the Combo set and be done with it. The last thing I need to do is damage my already bad back. I'll take Sascha's advice and use the Clark for the really large items, which won't be anytime soon. I've got to figure out how to move the Clark Steady Rest which is really heavy. My shop just isn't setup for using anything overhead which is how I'd prefer doing it. It's a metal portable building and only 12x16. Prior to my back surgeries picking the thing up wasn't a problem. But now it's a big pain. I guess it helps that I sold the Harley a few days ago. Couldn't ride it any more either. Anyway, I'll probably have a big gloat with pics in a few weeks. The articulating arm looks like it's really handy and smooth.

Brian - congrats on ordering your Monster system - you will love it!

Sorry to hear about your limitations due to back surgery! Hope you can find someone local that can give you a hand when needed. Also sorry to hear that you had to let your Harley go. I worked on a shrimp boat years ago and watched as my Sportster slowly corroded while I was at sea. Finally decided it was better to sell it to someone who could ride it than watch it die a slow death. Yup, sad day.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your new hollowing system. It will make a huge difference in your hollow forms and also be very easy on your back!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Brian you are going to love that system. I have arthritis in my hands so hand held units really play heck with them. With this system I don't have to bend over as much and it is much easier on my hands.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

glad I could help, you will love the articulated arm, I can't stop using mine.

my system took about 5 weeks, but Randy has trouble with his shipment of lasers and as far as he told me it's all good again.

Tell Randy I said hi
    Sascha

Brian,
    I have Randy's Monster system also. Same as Bernie, I have the Big "A" in my hands and wrists and it really takes the torque out of hollowing. You will love it and the wait is not that long. Enjoy!!
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Brian!

As we grow older, health issues will force us to give up more and more of those things that we enjoyed earlier in life. I have a 25lb lifting limit, but am blessed with a sympathetic, willing neighbor, (Steve S.) who very willingly carried my new Jet 1220VS down to my basement shop last fall. I hope you are as fortunate.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

I just ordered the combo yesterday for my mustard. I don't have any health issues just don't like to struggle. After continually hearing about it on this board for the past year plus, I decided to order one sight unseen, there are a bunch of guys in my club also intrested in seeing it so I feel I will have a glote for a while.

I did order a bunch of Randys handles and they are great just getting another 3 of them now also.
    -=Jason=-

What is it about the Clark system you don't like Brian? I'd really like to know before I make my choice between Clark and the Monster.
    Thanks, Tom
    Tom in Qualicum Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Storey View Post
    What is it about the Clark system you don't like Brian? I'd really like to know before I make my choice between Clark and the Monster.
    Thanks, Tom
    I also have the Clark and it is in fact an awesome system but it is designed for very large and deep forms and if anything it is overbuild if there is such a thing.
    I have 2 steel bars that are 1 1/4" thick i think and my long one is 4', it rides on bearings and is extremely smooth, but for smaller forms it is a little much.
    the laser is easy to set up and the whole system is just amazing, but if you are starting out, the Monster rig and the articulating arm are one system with interchangeable accessories so that would be the biggest advantage.
    I have Keith's whole system and the articulated arm from Randy and I can see why people love the arm, so easy to use and set up. Keith's system is very heavy but it performs amazing.

so it's this for deeeeeeeeeeep forms

and this for smaller forms for me

I might get Randy's captured rig as well, just because, no reason at all, but then again, it's not very hard to talk me into more tools
    Sascha

Congrats Brian. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Monster rig. With all the bits and pieces that come with it, it's a very adaptable system.