Thread: Jet JWBS-16 Resawing question

Jet JWBS-16 Resawing question

Hi all,

I have a Jet JWBS-16 1 1/2 hp Bandsaw and I am very interested in resawing some some boards of Maple and Mahogany between 8-10" and I need to make the veneers about 3/32 thick. Will I be able to do this with this saw and what type of blade should I upgrade to for this particular saw (I currently only have the factory blade and trying to resaw has been very difficult). I have heard that 1/2" to 3/4" blade with 3tpi should work, can anyone verify this or is there a better setup?
    Thank you for any assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Larson View Post
    Hi all,

I have a Jet JWBS-16 1 1/2 hp Bandsaw and I am very interested in resawing some some boards of Maple and Mahogany between 8-10" and I need to make the veneers about 3/32 thick. Will I be able to do this with this saw and what type of blade should I upgrade to for this particular saw (I currently only have the factory blade and trying to resaw has been very difficult). I have heard that 1/2" to 3/4" blade with 3tpi should work, can anyone verify this or is there a better setup?
    Thank you for any assistance.
    Derek, I have the 14" rikon with 1 1/2 hp and I can resaw 12" maple, mahogany and others with no problem...I use timber wolf 5/8" 3 tpi for my cheap blades and resaw king blades for better quality cuts
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Ditto Dave on 3 tpi which is preferred to give you enough gullet to remove waste and with re-saw there is a lot of sawdust flying.

Sarge..

Derek, I have the exact same saw that you do (JWBS-16) and I have had no problems re-sawing cherry and maple on it in sizes you are wanting to work on. I replaced the factory blade with a 3/4" Timber Wolf which I believe is 3 TPI. I have also used a 5/8" Olson 3 TPI blade with good luck as well, but I do find that the Timber Wolf requires less effort to go through the wood. I really like my saw, it has done everything I have asked of it. I believe you will find it performs much better once you replace the factory blade.

A Timber Wolf 1/2" 3tpi blade will also work. That's what I use on my Delta 14".
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night