Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guys, ask your wives: What's the best bed sheet thread count?

Like Jim Becker, I've bought from overstock, but I've had mixed results. I got one set of 1000 ct. that were sooooooo good I've been spoiled for life. I ordered exactly the same stock number four or five months later and the sheets were not the same. I guess they draw from lots of suppliers with a variety of QA standards.
    Knowledge is Responsibility
    Mark V.

We pulled the trigger tonight on some 800 TC Egyptian sheets in Macy's Hotel Collection. They seem pretty nice. They were on sale (reg. $250 for just a flat sheet, on sale for $149, and then we got 15% off of that, so in total, ~$350 for the fitted, the flat and a pair of std pillows). Will report back when we give them a test drive. May be a couple weeks.

Thanks all. Todd

edit: that's King size.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 06-06-2009 at 12:23 AM.

LOML has been buying 1000 count for 2 years. They are nice and smooth. Clifford.

Todd,
    You can't live with out a second set, one on the bed and the other in the wash, $700.
    I have been looking for a mattress that doesn't fail in the first 6 months. I have tried Serta, Sealy and a memory foam Tempurpedic knock off. Serta and Sealy looked like the rolling hills of Kentucky in 6 months. (cost, over $1000) The memory foam was to hot, mushy in the warm weather and like a rock in the cold weather. (cost around $500) Next try will be an air mattress. I am having a problem with paying over $1000 for an air mattress. I don't mind spending almost as much as a Sawstop costs for a mattress set but I want it to last more than 6 months.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Todd,
    You can't live with out a second set, one on the bed and the other in the wash, $700.
    I have been looking for a mattress that doesn't fail in the first 6 months. I have tried Serta, Sealy and a memory foam Tempurpedic knock off. Serta and Sealy looked like the rolling hills of Kentucky in 6 months. (cost, over $1000) The memory foam was to hot, mushy in the warm weather and like a rock in the cold weather. (cost around $500) Next try will be an air mattress. I am having a problem with paying over $1000 for an air mattress. I don't mind spending almost as much as a Sawstop costs for a mattress set but I want it to last more than 6 months.
    Latex my friend...with a nice lambs wool cover.

And why is there 35 replies a thread on thread count*LOL*

David -- Try looking at a Shifman - The are extremely comfortable but get ready for sticker shock! The 'no flip' I have has been wonderful. They provide the beds to the White House.

I travel frequently and I am blessed with being able to say in fine hotels - you get spoiled with comfy beds and crimp sheets every day. Then you try to duplicated the experience at home - if I could only get someone to bring my slippers and turn the bed down

You can also buy the beds and all the linens directly from some hotels -- Weston does the whole "Heavenly Bed" setup and "The Four Seasons" sells one that is made for them. I have bought the setup from the Four Seasons - at actually a surprising price.

Thanks guys, I will do the research.
    I too was wondering about all of the "masculine interest in linen"
    David B

We have several sets made from egyptian cotton that are the bomb. Thread count being equal I think they are softer.

David, we have the Sleep Number bed. I'm 70 and my wife is 40. We too went through king mattresses every 6 months, even the high $ ones. 2" sinkholes in six months, and that's not the pillow top.

The Sleep # was $2500 I think. The warranty is great - and we've used it. In the last 5 years, we've been through 4 pumps and 2 box springs - ergo - their plastic equivalent.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I'm 70 and my wife is 40.
    Todd
    If you skip the first sentence like i did, this takes on a whole different meaning....

Yep. and much better than the other way around!

Thanks Todd,
    My Chiropractor recommended Sleep Number. I will give it a look.
    Tim has a naughty mind.
    David B

, so in total, ~$350 for the fitted, the flat and a pair of std pillows).
    Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Todd,
    I have been looking for a mattress that doesn't fail in the first 6 months.
    Wow, too rich for me. My wife and I just go browsing through the bedding aisle at Value Village every now and then. Thread count? Nahh, just see what feels good and substantial, and like was said, insist on 100% cotton. I can pick up a Queen set for around $30 or so. Works for me.

(Flannel in the winter time, nice and cosy!)

And David I'm just scratching my head at your mattress problems... My set has to be 10 years old and it's just fine. I don't get it. How could your mattress fail in six months? Do you have little kids doing the trampoline thing?

best,
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

David, we have the Sleep Number bed.
    Ditto. We absolutely love it. But I'm a 55 and Professor Dr SWMBO is...a 25. She loves sleeping in a "trough"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Art,
    The mattresses end up with two "troughs" within 6 months. (thanks Jim B for the word that fit) We both weigh in the neighbor hood of 200 lbs but that shouldn't break down a $1000 mattress in 6 months.
    SWMBO doesn't mind her trough but I have a frozen shoulder problem and can't seem to get comfortable with out pain while rolling around in my trough.
    The Sleep Number bed seems to be a good answer to solve the trough or canyons as I think of them.
    David B