Thread: From Marks Claro Walnut

From Marks Claro Walnut

I at least had a chance to rough out a piece of the walnut I got from Mark. This will be an 8" HF. I've got it sitting in a box of shavings right now, hopefully I get back out to the shop tonight to finish roughing it out. Right now we have a heat index in the 105-110 degree area so I'm not sure if I will or not. It's got some beautiful color and someone should've reminded me to wear gloves while turning. My hands are black. It's a good thing my Airstream arrived when it did. It helps knock the heat off of you a little bit. I was in the shop for a couple hours before the sweat started rolling down my face. Normally in heat like this it only takes about 5 minutes. If you are undecided on buying any of the walnut from Mark I can tell you it's worth it. I've got a larger piece that will be a HF also but I will wait about a year or so before I turn it. I prefer turning dry wood when I do HF's just because I hate having to go back and true things up. I promised Mark I would post some pics. I'll post more when it's done.Thanks Again Mark

The 2nd pic os showing some of the shavings
    The last pic is just showing the Airstream
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Sweeet!

Thanks for posting Brian!
    I realy like the shape of that, It will look sexy when its done I'm sure
    My hands are stained as well...lol.. So are my daughters.. The vortex is growing on the left coast.

Do you have a finish in mind for it?

Mark,
    I'm a BLO guy. Sometimes I play with the mixture a little. Then usually use either Shellac or a lacquer over the BLO. I also sand up through the higher grits. It's not uncommon for me to go up to 1200. As for the form, I'm actually thinking about using it as a burial urn. My wife's Rotty passed away several years ago and I've never really liked the urn she has the ashes in. I thought it would be a nice little present for her. Something about the wood made me think of it while I was turning so that's where that inspiration came from.

i went up to 800 on the bowl I finished yesterday and went with lacquer and I am pleased with the outcome.

That will make a fine urn Brian, The wife will appreciate it I am sure.

I did some turning with the claro too!

Brian, I did a bowl that is going back to Mark when it gets finished, I cored two smaller ones from the blank and those will end up on my website someday! I have one more big one to get at but have not decided what it will become for sure! Nice job so far on your HF/Urn I think your wife will be very pleased! This wood is pretty hard stuff but the end result is great!

Thanks for sharing, you can see the one I started for mark in my "Bowls" gallery here on SMC

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

That is going to be a good looking piece. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

No need to wear gloves to keep the black stain off your hands. Just rinse in lemon or lime juice briefly before washing, it'll come right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Brian, I did a bowl that is going back to Mark when it gets finished, I cored two smaller ones from the blank and those will end up on my website someday! I have one more big one to get at but have not decided what it will become for sure! Nice job so far on your HF/Urn I think your wife will be very pleased! This wood is pretty hard stuff but the end result is great!

Thanks for sharing, you can see the one I started for mark in my "Bowls" gallery here on SMC

Jeff
    I just had to share Jeff,
    Simply gorgeous!