Thread: handbuilt lathe

handbuilt lathe

Thought folks might be interested in this machine. I found it while on a lunch time walk. It was built by Bob McDonald who owns a small woodworking shop in Fairborn, OH called "The Cedar Chest"

The lathe swings 18". The large wheel (6' in diameter) provides power via a hand crank and a rope drive.

Entirely made made of Ash and White Oak. All wood harvested by the builder. Wheel utilizes leather bearings.

Mr. McDonald said they were going to be setting up and doing demos today. Contact me via email if you would like his email address.

Enjoy!

IMG00041.jpg IMG00042.jpg

IMG00043.jpg IMG00044.jpg
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Cool looking lathe, not my personal dream lathe but its still pretty cool.

Great looking old time lathe!

Looks like the apprentice gets to turn the big wheel while the master does all the good ,fun stuff! It is nice to see that there are still people keeping our heritage alive!

Great post,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Now that's a nicely made wheel lathe. I'd love to see more details.

The two ended tool rest is ingenious... I wonder if he's got a handwheel on the bottom side for tightening the "banjo"?

That's pretty slick!
    Me, I would have to hook up a 3h.p. VS motor to it
    But I guess if ya have a willing apprentice

mark, you would cover the whole thing in concrete first. then add the motor
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

[QUOTE=Tom Keen;1164536]Thought folks might be interested in this machine. I found it while on a lunch time walk. It was built by Bob McDonald who owns a small woodworking shop in Fairborn, OH called "The Cedar Chest"

The lathe swings 18". The large wheel (6' in diameter) provides power via a hand crank and a rope drive.

Entirely made made of Ash and White Oak. All wood harvested by the builder. Wheel utilizes leather bearings.

Mr. McDonald said they were going to be setting up and doing demos today. Contact me via email if you would like his email address.

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting. That is cool.

I see you are from South Charleston Ohio. You can just put that lathe on my next 18 wheeler of mulch from Paygro.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale