Thread: I don't need no stinkin domino.

I don't need no stinkin domino.

I had a customer wanting me to cut the pieces out for an unusual table he makes. a bunch of odd shaped circles joined at the edges. he has been using a domino for the job. but it took him a long time to cut them to sand them and join them. so he sent me a jpg file I imported it modified the butterfly/dogbone piece and off I went it worked the first time that surprised me a bit. I cut them on my cnc router out of 3/4" birch ply and some appleply for the dogbones. I think I will shorten the length in the middle of the dogbones by a tiny bit so they pull the pieces tight. I am debating on cutting them with a taper too as they can mash the edges if your not careful.

Steve knight
    cnc routing

"I don't need no stinkin domino." Steve, I don't appreciate you talkin' about my best friend that way!

That is pretty slick, and really makes a neat connector. Reminds me of the double dovetail pieces - don't recall the manufacturer - that are used to join trim from the underside. Should be pretty solid, too, with all of the surface gluing area.

Nice Workmanship. It kind of looks like river rocks.
    Gary

Pretty cool. I'm wondering how long it would take a guy with a scroll saw to cut that pattern. I'm guessing way longer than a CNC?

Smile

I'm guessing that extra piece is a #12.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    I'm guessing that extra piece is a #12.
    Also called "pocket part." I always have those after putting together multiple part projects, too!

I guess #8
    Gary

I did this test without tabs and that #12 got sucked up into my dc. I found it later.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

mind if I ask what you are making?//

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Pretty cool. I'm wondering how long it would take a guy with a scroll saw to cut that pattern. I'm guessing way longer than a CNC?
    he came to me because it took him too long to cut the parts out and domino them together. I came up with the dogbone idea. at first I was thinking half laps but getting the thickness perfect would be a real pain since plywood can vary so much in thickness on one sheet.
    here is his webpage.
    http://www.michaelarras.com/
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I really like those tables! My question though, how does he hide the fact that it is plywood? Does he edge band the pieces, or just leave them with the plys showing?

as far as I know he just leaves them. good ply looks nice on the edges.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing