Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sandpaper

Bernie,

I am pretty new to the world of turning with only 47 bowls behind me. I also have not a lot of sandpaper to wood comparison, 40 years sandpaper to metal but that is a different story. There is a tremendous difference when you power sand as opposed to sheet sandpaper held up to an rotating bowl. I had read a lot of other posts and decided a few months ago to try Vince's Wood N' Wonders.com in Jeffersonville, Ind. I am impressed with his products and also his advice. I started out with the
    3 3/8" size and just ordered the 2 3/8" two days ago. I also think highly of his knock-off souix quarter drill at $80.00 You can't go wrong with Vince.

I have no $$$ connection to him, I am extremely happy with his products and advice. Check out his web site, he has an educational part on it.

Good Luck,

Dave

Another 3x user...

But like some of the others I haven't used much else (yet). I have some 3M from the Blue Borg and don't like it. The Norton, especially the 60-120 grits, just works better for longer. I'll try some of the other brands once my wife lets me stop painting the house.

I use Klingspor's...they have great bargain boxes and the 1" rolls go through the grits up to 600. Link

All sorts of sandpaper

The Kingspor boxes are a great deal! Mostly I use Abralon and Abranet. The Abranet cuts very smooth, fast and cool and doesn't clog. Abralon (up to 4000 grit) is terrific for sanding contour, beads and coves, as well as finials. Both last much longer than sandpaper and are very cost effective.
    Mike

.....God invented the wood lathe to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.....

Industrial Abrasives
    Is that the same as Online Industrial Supply?
    http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/

I bought the 5" hook & loop packs 80 to 600 grit, I can use them with my orbital sander, and I have found that they are great to use by hand, easy to hang on to and the fabric backing adds additional protection from heat, while using the finer grits and higher speeds.
    I hadn't thought about buying the rolls of H&L.

While on the subject of sandpaper.........
    How many of you sand bowls beyond 600 grit?
    One Nation under God

Lynn,

I am fairly new (51 bowls) and might not have the right answer for you. I have been told that for a bowl that is going to be used 320 grit is enough. I have been going only up to 320 and have been very pleased. I have 400 but have not used it. I also think that the finish you are going to use will influence how far to sand. I only use Antique oil and burnish it in for a soft look. I think if you are going to go for a shinny high gloss finish you might have to to a finer finish. Hope that helps. Good luck, and let me know what you learn.

Dave