Thread: Lee Valley Scraper set

Lee Valley Scraper set

Just recieved my lee valley order with my "scraper set". I needed new scrapers, so I just decided to get the set. Great Deal!
    You get a set of 4 scrapers of variable thickness, 8" bastard file, jointer, burnisher with a scraper and a holder with yet another scraper, all for $59.
    I believe recently they was a discussion of scrapers and where to purchase, this set of a total of 6 scrapers and fool proof burring is a great deal.
    bill

I got a set of 4 LV scrapers..

for Christmas from LOML. Have yet to take the time to try to sharpen them.

When you figure that part out .... could you let me know how you did it?? Never have been competent at even sharpening a pocket knife .... shame, shame!!

Me neither, Ken!

Originally posted by Ken Wright
    Never have been competent at even sharpening a pocket knife .... shame, shame!!

What a sad commentary!

Even my whits are dull!
    Dave Anderson, SoCal - Work Safely!

No gloat in subject...

Stand on the sideline for 2 hours!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Ok, it's not really that hard. In your packet of scrapers should have come with a detailed description of "how to's". The president of Lee Valley wrote the book on sharpening so you know that he knows what he's talking about.
    All you need in file, and a burnisher or something harder than the scraper, say like the tang of a chisel.
    The scrapers and already milled flat ( so they say), if not use a mill file and joint it as you would a hand saw, take the side of a honing stone, couple strokes to clean up the file marks, then a couple strokes on the flat side to clean up the raw edge up the burr.
    Now clamp the scraper in a vise leaving about 1/2" or so above the vise, along with it clamp on both sides an 1 1/2" block of wood about 3/16 down from the top of the scraper. Oil the edge of the burnisher with a drop of oil on your fingertip, very little is needed, 10w-40, or oil from behind your ear.
    Now take your burnisher (or chisel or screwdriver), take a few strokes with moderate pressure at 90 degrees to the blade, should feel a small burr, now tilt your burnisher so it touches the outside edge of the 1 1/2 material and again with moderate pressure take a few strokes. Go only in one direction, either away from you or toward you, doesn't matter.
    This should give a burr of about 5+ degrees, if you want a larger angle , raise your scraper higher on the 2x material. Depending on preference for shaving, depends on how big a burr.
    Now take those scrapers out the bag
    Bill
    bill

THANKS Bill Sams ......

I'll give it a try this w'end.