Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which lathe????

which lathe????

Hey fellas!! I'm looking for a lathe, as I am intersted in starting turning. A friend of mine have a Nova, runs about $2100. I'm not particulary interested in spending that much but might if it's worth it. What is the best I can get for turning bowls for about $1000. Is the Nova worth that? I'm really enjoying his lathe but...... Thanks for your help!

www.woodturnerscatalog.com has the Nova 1624 @ $999 with free bed extension and chuck - pretty good deal -- so if you can live without variable speed you would have basically the same lathe as your friends Nova DVR. Give Roger a call at 1-800-551-8876 and chat.

Spend some time at your local AAW chapter and

search this forum, Woodcentral, AAW- endless discussions. Such as: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105045

But most importantly go to an AAW club in your area and try out as many lathes as you can and listen to the opinions. Learn a little about turning before making your decision.

My current best choices within the price range you mentioned:
    16" Jet 1642 variable speed 1-1/2hp, forward and reverse. Low speed of about 50 rpm.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YWFYDCQ1S0254R $1850 free shipping is a good deal. $350 more gets you 2HP and 22OV which is nice, but ...... This could well be your last lathe. Heavy and solid, with cast iron legs. Great for bowl turning with a headstock that slides to the end. But you will still spend hundreds more on tools and supporting equipment. Very detailed review on this forum at: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/6/

or the new 12 1/2" Delta variable speed 1 HP Model 46-460 $599 a great new design variable speed starter lathe. Forward and reverse low speed of 250 rpm.
    http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=19220
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=64108
    Which leaves you a few hundred bucks to buy tools, grinder, chuck......it adds up. But you could make your $1000 budget on this, and easily sell your Delta in the future should you want to upgrade. Stand or legs extra.

A sleeper for $1000 (above post) is the 16" Nova 1624, NOT variable speed, but 8 belt changes, 1-1/2 hp and rotating headstock, AND REVERSE. With this you could turn larger bowls. See review at: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=28729 The Craft Supplies site incorrectly lists it as having variable speed.

Again, spend some time with an AAW chapter.

Hope this helps. There are no shortage of opinions, and they are all good.

Of course check prices from several sources.
    Last edited by JerHall; 07-18-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Jerry Hall

[QUOTE=JerHall;1177342A sleeper for $1000 (above post) is the 16" Nova 1624, NOT variable speed, but 8 belt changes, 1-1/2 hp and rotating headstock, no reverse..[/QUOTE]

Did they stop making them with reverse?

If you have $1000 to spend I would highly recomend the nova 1624. I have no idea why people accept lower swing for a higher price with jet, IMO swing is more important than variable speed.

If you think you'll stick with turning (and you sound like that just might be the case) take every last cent you can spare and buy a powermatic. Vicmarc makes a nearly perfect lathe, as perfect as a lathe can be, but the price makes it more of a status symgol than anything.....give nova a serious consideration...if that's your choice you won't be dissapointed.

[QUOTE=A sleeper for $1000 (above post) is the 16" Nova 1624, NOT variable speed, but 8 belt changes, 1-1/2 hp and rotating headstock, no reverse. With this you could turn larger bowls.[/QUOTE]

The Nova 1624 DOES reverse, unless they've changed it since I got mine (2 or 3 years now). It's a good lathe and with the extra bed and a chuck, I don't think you can go wrong. Count on a few $$$ for a new toolrest (or several) as the Nova is a piece of garbage IMHO.

Whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Novotny View Post
    Did they stop making them with reverse?
    Reverse is included, no extra charge it seems...

Time to edit my earlier post!

Jerry
    Jerry Hall

..... I have no idea why people accept lower swing for a higher price with jet, IMO swing is more important than variable speed.
    You make a good point. While the Jet1642 headstock can slide down to the end of the lathe for turning greater than 16", I guess you would have to build an outboard rest stand, or buy Jet's sturdy looking three legged one to turn greater than 16" There was a nice article for building one in Woodturning Design a year or so ago. Simple, inexpensive, design, fastened to the right leg, made of standard plumbing fixtures. I still think the Jet 1642 is a great choice, and very solid. Between centers both lathes are 16" lathes. Variable speed is very valuable with large, heavy, out of balance blanks. I would never give that up.

If you think you'll stick with turning (and you sound like that just might be the case) take every last cent you can spare and buy a powermatic.
    I couldn't agree more on the Powermatic 3520b, but every last cent? No tools, grinder, bandsaw, chain saw, sanding system, sharpening jig, ....We all have a budget.

Jerry
    Jerry Hall

I have turned on both the Nova DVR XP and the Jet. I much prefer my Nova DVR XP over the Jet. I have a more compact footprint but I have the swing away bed segement so when I need the length I have it. The DVR can be run on 110V or 220V. On 110V the motor is rated at 1.75HP and 220V it is rated at 2.3HP. The motor is very smooth and quiet. Some don't like the buttons but after using mine for a few month's I don't notice any differnce. I have been thrilled with the performance of mine. Here is a thread on my lathe and stand. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001

Both of the Nova's are on sale at Craft supplies here are the links. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...a_dvr_xp?Args= http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...24_44?Args=and with free bed extension and chucks. With the DVR you get the Super Nova 2 chuck and with the 1624 you the G3 chuck. The 1624 does have reverse.

If I was on a real tight budget there is no doubt I would get the 1624 a great lathe for the price and will serve most people very well and it comes with a decent stand. The money you save can go a long way to getting some really good tooling to go along with the lathe. If you can free your budget up a little more I would go with the DVR or the Jet.

Good Luck
    Alan

Another nod for the Nova 1624. (This is the non varible speed model). The belt change takes all of 20 seconds so to me its not an issue, the lathe has reverse with is great for sanding OR turning on the left inside of the bowls, is is fairly heavy at around 320 lbs i think and it will easily turn a pen to a monster bowl with NO issues. Great lathe. I love mine.

If you wait the Nova 1624 can be had on sale for $800 and free shipping! Thats how I got mine.

What Scott said. I love mine too, changing belts not an issue for me either, works great with no problems.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

WoodCraft is having a sale this coming Thursday /Friday with 10% off power tools. I will be camped on the door step Friday morning to get my new Nova. Now to decide if I want the 1624-44 or the DVR XP.
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Can you still get a vacuum chuck for the Novas?

I'm looking at a 2007 teknatool catalogue right now and there are no vacuum chucks. Craft USA sells them by spindle size that will fit a nova.

Wow, Nova as a starter lathe! My starter, and my only is a Jet mini. Paid 219. That's how long ago I bought it. Wish I had money to step up. I would also say that swing is more important than VS. Changing belts is not that big a deal.

Don't forget to price in a few chisels.......

Vacuum chucks are not a problem with Nova lathes. The Holdfast works with it. The EZ vac adapter that Packard sells works with it. And Oneway sells and adapter that fits their rotary adapter that fits the Nova lathes.

Good Luck

Alan