Thread: catalyzed lacquer turning milky - any know fix

catalyzed lacquer turning milky - any know fix

I have cherry kitchen cabinets that were finished with catalyzed lacquer just last year. The finish has started to turn milky in the last month.

Is there any known fix? Can they effectively be stripped and refinished?

Don

Hi Don,

Since no one has chimmed in on this one yet...

It sounds like you may have moisture trapped inside the finish and it's blushing. I have to admit, I haven't heard of this happening after a year of the finish being applied but I suppose it's not out the realm of possiblity. When regular lacquer clouds or turns milky, you can sometimes reshoot with just lacquer thinner and that's enough to soften the existing finish to get the water to evaporate. I'm not sure if this would work for a catalyzed lacquer though.

You didn't mention if these were wall or base cabinets (or both), but if they were base cabinets, I'm wondering if it's just maybe scuffs from use and people brushing up against the cabinets? If this is the case, you may try just some polishing compound on a cloth to see if it's just surface damage - this may also tell you how deep the moisture has penetrated.

Short of that, you can strip and refinish and they should look as good as new...

HTH
    Todd

Exactly what type, brand, etc. of lacquer did you use?

Most of the water-borne lacquers, are lacquer in name only. They are arcylics, not Nitrocelluos lacquer.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

How old was the lacquer when you used it?

Todd

hmmm....this almost sounds like the lacquer is starting to flake off and that is what is causing the milky look...

yes it could be stripped and refinished....

its possible a cheap product was used, improper techniques, or too thick of a surface film...