Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointech still in business or just bad customer service?

Jointech still in business or just bad customer service?

The 3rd of June I ordered a Jointech Smartlift Digital router lift along with some accessories.

After several e-mails from me requesting an order confirmation with expected delivery date and shipping cost (since I'm in Europe), I received an answer the 10th of June.

The message was that it was backordered, but no delivery date. Shipping cost information was included.

I asked once again about expected delivery date (still the 10th of June) and the 22nd of June I asked about this AGAIN.

So far - no answer.

I really want this router lift due to the very easy way of setting router height accurately and repeatedly, however it's apparantly not available anywhere else and not at all here in Europe.

However I'm very close to simply cancelling my order and find another product, but would like to hear your oppinion.

Are these guys still in business and just performing VERY poor customer service or are they dead and gone?

If anyone knows of another online store that sells the Smartlift Digital I'd be happy to hear about it.

Neils,

My understanding is that the company is now in the hands of the founder's heirs, and they're not doing a good job with it. This is heresay, so may not be true.

I have the Jessem Masterlift XL, which is great. However, there have been some recent comments here on the Creek from some Jessem customers that are disturbing about that company, as well. Just do a google search on SMC for Jessem and you can find them.

I don't understand why a company can make great products and then let their market get away. Many of the newer lifts, and some of the older models still being made, have great fine setting devices, although they're all analog as far as I know. I've found my Masterlift to be accurate to less than .002".

Greg

Jointech is being handled by family members after the death of the owner...they are a little difficult to deal with. I had received a new lift from them (ordered through Rockler) The digital portion didn,t read out. Rockler wouldn't handle the required part replacement so refered me back to Jointech. Jointech delayed contacting me, and when they did, it was with the explanation that parts were on back order and they didn't have a new unit in stock.So I contacted Wixey. Barry (Wixey) was willing to send the replacement unit to me if Jointech didn't or wouldn't. Jointech finally came through with the part as well as an apology for the way things were handled...one of the reasons given was the death of the owner and the ensuing problems. However, that was several years ago!

I think you can buy the Wixey part used on the smart lift and incorporate it into your own router lift. If that isn't correct, i bet you could adapt one of the other Wixey products for that use.

Looks like this from Woodcraft at about $80 would do the trick...

Neils.

I have a different brand of router lift. I use an analog height gauge. These can be picked up very cheaply as used on ebay ($20-30) (there's digital as well).
    I also use set up blocks.

If you have a lift with a digital reading on it, You are going to have to take the time to zero it out every time you change a bit. Not a huge deal, but not significantly faster than using a height gauge or setup block, IMO.

Good luck though. I ordered a router fence setup from them back when the inventor was running the company and was very satisfied. I know others have had problems with them. Not trying to be a fanboy, just saying they aren't always bad.

Jessem

Just an FYI. Jessem went through some reorganization and had some issues with the phones and internet site. They have since then corrected some problems and did take care of my request. I believe you will find they do try to take care of their customers. With that said I hope Jointech is still up and going. I like their router fence system. Best wishes.

Lets just say I would not get one if they are in busness they have not gotten any better over the past years since the owner died. No one will carry them anymore. It's ashame it's a great idea wish someone else woudl do it.
    -=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    Neils.
    If you have a lift with a digital reading on it, You are going to have to take the time to zero it out every time you change a bit. Not a huge deal, but not significantly faster than using a height gauge or setup block, IMO.
    I understand your point, but I think the biggest boon would be in sneaking up on a cut. It seems like I constantly apply a little too much force and adjust something too far. The digital readout would help me get the adjustment I wanted without my usual bouncing around, readjusting, retest cutting.

I purchased a Jointech digital lift the first month they were available (quite a few years ago). Although I have had some minor problems with it (all resolved) I love the digital feature and would not want a lift that did not incorporate this technology. However, this is not the first thread I have seen with folks complaining about their CS. It is indeed unfortunate, as they make some very nice accessories. However, Wixey has introduced a DRO that can be incorporated into many (all??) lifts. You may want to consider this option if you are unable to resolve the situation with Jointech.

http://www.wixey.com/remote/index.html
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Doesn't look good

Over the weekend I emailed Jointech to enquire about the status of an order I placed July 2 (three weeks ago). I had never received a shipping confirmation and/or tracking number. I received no reply yesterday (Monday), so today I phoned. I've phoned three times so far. There has been no answer, no voice mail. Also, there is a notice at the web site that the office will be closed until July 20, which was yesterday. Perhaps it should have said "until at least July 20".

Hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.

Cary

Jointech was working on a new table saw fence like the Beismeyer (sp) with digital accuracy. This was about 3 years ago now and it never made it to market. Sure was wanting to see it for use in my tiny shop as the arm on my Incra sure gets in the way. Hope they solve their internal issues and get back to doing business as usual.
    Pete

I got a sale advertisement from them on July 4th for a sale on certain items which ends July 31 according to the ad. So there must be some life there. E-mail address from which it originated was ezs@itoolscompany.com

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Swoveland View Post
    Over the weekend I emailed Jointech to enquire about the status of an order I placed July 2 (three weeks ago). I had never received a shipping confirmation and/or tracking number. I received no reply yesterday (Monday), so today I phoned. I've phoned three times so far. There has been no answer, no voice mail. Also, there is a notice at the web site that the office will be closed until July 20, which was yesterday. Perhaps it should have said "until at least July 20".

Hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.

Cary
    I ended up cancelling my order since I simply didn't want to wait any longer.
    I've received no answer or confirmation from them that they have actually cancelled my order, so maybe someday a router lift will show up in the mail

Niels

The problems yall are having with jointech are indicative of the business and work ethic frequently encountered in south Texas.....been here my whole life. One can usually find something done better somewhere else. There are dozens of businesses in every city in the area which have done things the same sloppy way for a long time...decades in some cases.
    Gregg Feldstone

Still no sign of life at Jointech. Any San Antonio members?

I finally got through and was told my July 2 order would ship Monday. Fingers crossed.

Cary
    Last edited by Cary Swoveland; 07-23-2009 at 1:37 PM.