Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe dust collection

Woodcraft stand/hood

I purchased the Woodcraft stand/big gulp type hood and find it surpasses all the previous home brew attempts I've tried. It was on sale last month for $59.95 and the stand telescopes up and down (held in place by a locking screw/knob). The only thing I would see as an improvement is the dust collection fitting from the hood is 4 inch---larger would have been better.

I also use the powermatic hood ( 3520b) although it is often difficult to position the tool rest and the hood when turning a larger bowl. It works great for spindle turning and since you don't have to deal with a tool rest, it is acceptable for collecting sanding dust when sanding bowls. THe PM unit is pricey (list at $95, can get for $65-70 range).

Another dust collection hood

Here is how I attached my dust hood, using one of the hoods as mentioned earlier. I used a board with a space beneath it to slide a 1/2 inch plywood stand, using a threaded rod to hold it in position (most of the time don't need to use the rod, has enough friction to hold in place), The board is 1" maple, and the rest is 1/2" plywood, held together with screws. The bottom of the hood is high enough to get the tool rest underneath it, else can't get in close enough with the hood to do a lot of good. I also cut the sides of the hood back to get it closer to the work. Sometimes have a little trouble with the handle on the tailstock hitting the hood, have to move the hood out of the way till the tailstock is locked,then move the hood back into position.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Greetings and thanks for the pics and ideas. It seems the consensus is use a hood, lots of CFMs and all is good. Makes sense to me.

Mike, Brian, Richard, Bernie, Ron, Reed, thanks for the pics and ideas. If any royalty's are due for using parts of your set-up let me know.

Ron, thanks for the PDF very thorough and instructive.

Fred, I'll order an articulated arm set up for a PM 3520, Ferrari Red with PM Gold pin stripe. Should be an attractive combo! What is the total cost with shopping from Down Under?

Actually I'm only half kidding, if you get into a production mode let me know!

Reed, the food drum idea makes great sense, light weight, huge and cheap.

Chris the drawing is clear, but one thought is ability to adjust forward, back, left and right. Perhaps that included and I just didn't catch it.

Tom, turned pegs and chased threads is very cool. Nice set up.

Again, thanks to all for providing very specific and useful info.

Tom, in Georgia, off to the shop for the day!
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

I finally got around to taking some pictures of the central dust collection system I recently installed in my shop. I added a small "lean-to" on the exterior of my shop and placed my dust collector (Jet) out there. I then ran 6" S&D through the shop wall, across the ceiling and made a drop down for each of my dust/chip producing machines (7 total). Each drop down has a gate that stays closed until I use that machine. The collector is equipped with a remote on/off. I ran the 6" pipe as close as I dared and finished off with 4" flex hose. I did not do any sort of grounding to the system. I live in the midlands of South Carolina with a very high humidity and didn't feel like I needed it. So far I don't regret it. Of course, the question here is on collection at the lathe. I wanted to be able to have my lathe hose at the work piece at a moments notice and then be able to move it just as fast. My solution (I hope the pictures show it) was to attach the hose to a section of pvc pipe fitted with a 90 deg fitting w/another piece of pvc (forming a 90 deg) that dropped down into a bit larger piece of pvc that was mounted stationary to the wall. The hose is now able to move back and forth and is kept in the desired position for collecting with a small bungy cord. I have noticed a big increase in the amount of dust being collected. I hope this explanation and pictures makes sense and perhaps helps someone.
    Ray Binnicker

Ray, very clever and functional. Thanks for the pics and explanation.

Best regards, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Here is how I rigged a larger hood on my mini. The mount lets me move the hood in several different directions. Just made out of plywood scraps. I also have a small fan overhead that turns on with the lathe to help direct the dust. This works well for the fines but as can be seen in the pics, the curlies still fly. It is attached in tchannel.

7. Dust Collection at the Lathe

Hi all. I'm new to Sawmill Creek and came across this thread. I built a 'roll-around' dust hood that may be of interest to some of you. For me, it works great, and I use it routinely.

The best way to see the article on my dust hood system is to go to our local turner's club website: http://www.inwwoodturners.com

Click on the 'articles' tab and you'll see a pdf file called 'dust collection at the lathe'

Hope this helps...

Thanks,

Bob Schmidt
    Spokane, WA

this works the best for me, though im still working on getting a little bigger collector over the wood.

shop stuff 002.jpg

shop stuff 003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rae View Post
    I've been thinking of a way to mount one of those hoods also. This is what I've come up with so far. Hopefully you can understand my drawing. The gray is the ways of the lathe, the mottled brown is wood, probably pine 1x4 or?, the black being the hood obviously. I haven't tried this yet so it may need some revision and the measurements would depend on each individual lathe, it's just the bare bones idea. Not sure if it will work but my thought is, with it hooking under one side of the ways it should be quick and easy to take on and off, also to slide back and forth.
    Chris,
    If it hooks on the ways like that, would it possibly be in the way of the banjo or is it only for sanding with the banjo moved out of the way?

Used mainly for sanding with the banjo moved out of the way.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?