Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: box number 2

box number 2

I have almost finished my 2nd box. it has changed designed twice because of cutting before thinking but I think it turned out OK ( the LOML likes it anyway ) its BE maple and padock with a grenadillo handle, simi gloss laquer ( still needs rubbing out ) ....critiques and comments welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Nice work. I wish my projects turned out as nice when I'm guilty of cutting before thinking (which is too often).

I especially like the handle.

David,

I can see why the LOYL likes it! She's obviously got good taste. Well done sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice job. Like everything about it. Especially like the job you did polishing the grain on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    ) ....critiques and comments welcome
    David, here are my critiques:

It is perfect.
    I love it.
    I wouldn't want anything different.
    Please show us after it is rubbed out so we can see the difference.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

David, that is one fine piece of work. I am not a big fan of Asian inspired pieces, but you have truly done a beautiful job of this one. It has perfect balance, and as noted by others, the handle is a wonderful accent. Great job!!

David, that turned out amazing - very nice work indeed. I really like the wood choices on this one. Excellent job all around.

Blog Entries
    Looks really nice, David! I see you're having fun with bevels.... I think beveling a box adds so much to the overall appearance.

The handle is a nice touch. I think next time, I would shorten up the brass rods just a tad to bring the handle a little closer to the piece.... but, it still looks great!

David, Great job ! I to like the Asian influence. Keep up the good work. Craig

Beautiful box David and the handle is what gives it the Asian influence which I learned to appreciate when in well... Asia. Ed took my thougth away about shortening the handle just a tad and the height would be considered a personal preference.

I have jumped from 489 aircraft of various descriptions but don't like to stand on the top a ladder to paint a high point on my house on a slope these days. So.. I would just personally prefer it down a little closer to Mother Earth. And that is just a minor thing as the box is really quite beautiful and striking to me.

Regards...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

The handle is a nice touch. I think next time, I would shorten up the brass rods just a tad to bring the handle a little closer to the piece.... but, it still looks great!

I agree, but overall, a great piece.

I think some dividers on the inside would enhance the work greatly, and but some kind of curves to them, not straight and not symetrical.

Proportions are great, would have liked to have seen the slipfeathers thinner.

Great job !
    MARK

thanks for all the kind words, I will be starting box number 3 as soon as I con figure out what design I want
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Blog Entries
    How 'bout trying out one of these pagoda boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    How 'bout trying out one of these pagoda boxes?
    Ed, I will be giving one of those a try, so stand by for questions about the top
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I've always wanted to build boxes like this one, maybe someday. I have 8 projects in the hopper as it is. Well done and well executed.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson