Thread: Largest turning - so far.

Largest turning - so far.

Here is what I did today. Three turnings at 44" diameter. Actually it went pretty well as the glue-ups were fairly flat. This was the first time using the outboard rest too. These are case moldings for doors. Knotty alder isn't my favorite. Weather was great for outdoor work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paul,

Now that is cool. I looks like you nailed the profile.

What did you mount it on? MDF?

Did it cause some butterflies in the stomach as you turned it on?

Toney

That's pretty cool Paul. What type of lathe and what speed were you running?

Great work Paul, very nice to see the architectural use of the lathe. It kind of dwarfs my turnings! Good looking outboard rest also.

Very impressive work Paul! Curious if you are matching some antique moldings for a restoration or if this is for a new construction? Great job on the details!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow Paul. Really nice turning there. The others asked my questions so will await a answer. Really cool.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thumbs up Great job!

Case moldings for doors? Is this for a hobbit house? Hee hee!

It's nice to see someone making arched case molding and not ignoring grain direction. I've been advocating making mitered blanks like this for our shop made arches, but so far it hasn't caught on.

Yeah, 36" doors but don't know about the Hobbits. The profile is one the cabinetmaker made for new construction. He glued the hoop up on 1/2" ply with paper and screwed the waste side (inside) to keep it from flying off. I have a 12" x 1" steel faceplate with a piece of 1" baltic birch also. I turned about 150 rpm and made the belts a bit loose so it had a slow start and could regulate the speed slower by pushing a bit harder if needed. This is the third generation of this 'lathe' and will soon be modified again. (in my spare time) I have a 1962 Volvo 4 speed I would like to put on in place of the torsion box countershaft. Also a profile cutter compound would be nice instead of nibbling away with 4 or 5 tools. Not very pretty or heavy, but it works for the flat stuff pretty well, altho I did turn a 20" oak burl on it. I turn 36" diameter bar rail profiles and handrail corners 2 or 3 times a year too. Next job, 12 skinny chair spindles. (On one of the other lathes)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just so you know Paul, hobbits have round doors....

Sorry... bad joke.

Very impressive!!

very cool, love the big turning.

Don't need no stinkin' $6,000 lathe to turn big. I love it!

Paul, can you recommend a source for the link belts? Am interested in a little tech data, not just the usual "link belt fixes everything, $X per foot" ads. Thanks.
    Richard in Wimberley

I got the belts off an old 36" planer that was in our shop after it was moved and they left them behind. I'm no help there.

Great looking lathe Paul. It must be nice to be able to turn outside.
    Is that a '69 VW Bug I see in the background?

'67 convertible with upholstering and top needed - but we still drive it. The shop was supposed to be a place where I could work on cars too, but there isn't even enough room for the vw right now. Sound familiar? The model A sits outside too.