Thread: How to keep jointer/planer knives from rusting / degrading?

How to keep jointer/planer knives from rusting / degrading?

I have a 12" lunch-box planer and a jointer that don't get near enough use that I'd like. They sit out in an unheated garage. How do I keep my jointer and planer blades in good shape while they sit out there? Will WD-40 do? Can I spray the cutterheads directly, or is it best to wipe it on just on the knives?

My growing family (1 toddler, another on the way) has put a serious dent in my free time to devote to woodworking. I still manage to squeeze a few hours a week out there, but that's it (that'll probably shrink to zero with two kids).

Thanks,
    Greg

I kept my lunchbox plane in an unheated garage last Winter. All I did was run a thin layer of silicon free wax over the knives. I haven't noticed any rust or degradation in quality of cut, other than because of running some lumber through it.

T9 Boeshield sprays on, and then leave it, and when it comes time to plane again, run some scrap through first to remove it.

DO NOT LEAVE WD-40 on anything for long. It has a very bad reputation for never wanting to come off if left too long. I think it dries into a brownish indestructable film,or something to that effect.

Cast iron rusts fast! High speed steel does not! Your planer knives will probably be the last part of your machine that oxidizes! Your planer's cutter head is bare steel and will rust far quicker.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I've used WD40 on all my table tops for many years and would not think of using anything else. For me it seems to work so much better than waxing. But that's just my opinion.
    Rick Mellin

A light wipe with mineral oil.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've had shop rust issues in the past, but never any on my jointer or planer knives, and I never used any rust preventive. But in general, I did have a lot more rust on steel surfaces than on cast iron.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 08-11-2009 at 8:22 PM.

I forgot the steel of the knives is a different material than cast iron. I appreciate the tips!