Thread: Problems finishing w/ cocobolo inlay

Problems finishing w/ cocobolo inlay

Hello all.

I have built a blanket chest from Lyptus (Rails & Styles) and Maple ply (panels) for a gift. The top is a mitered frame with the ply flush to the frame. I added a cocobolo inlay around the inside of the frame for an added touch. (3/8 wide inlay 3" inside of all edges - think if a rectangle in the top)

I have been trying to use arm-r-seal to finish the project. It has turned out great on the lypptus and maple..grain really pops.

My issue is on the top. around the inlay there is a visible area extending from the inlay onto the adjacent maple that looks like there is little finish. I started with satin and switched to semi floss to get a bit more shine.

So i whiffed on the oil in the cocobolo.

This problem are almost seems like the oil in the cocobolo is corrupting the arm r seal as it is wiped on.

I have sanded the top down to get back to basics. My plan is to refinish in these steps:

1 - acetone to cocobolo to get oil off
    2- seal coat of cut shellac to seal cocobolo (will do entire top so there is not any imperfection from getting shellac on adjascent wood)
    3- 3 coats of semi arm r seal.

Does this make sense?

Will arm r seal adhere to shellac?

Will color be affected?

Please advise.

Thx

Dave

Shellac will pop the grain and prevent the bleed over.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.