Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Yr Old Log "turned" bowl

10 Yr Old Log "turned" bowl

This bowl is turned from a small B. Walnut log that was laying behind a friends shop. It started as a nasty looking log it was so bad that the sapwood was completely rotted away, and full of ants. but with a little persuasion I was able to find tthis inside.
    7"x1 3/4" sanded to 2500 finished with antique oil and special sauce. then buffed and waxed.
    Comments and critiques welcomed.

Very nice Gary-your perserverence paid off.

Wayne

Gary - Love It!! Beautiful form, wood and finish! Absolutely love the outside curve! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful!
    Special sauce?
    Blessings, Steve

Very nice. The wood reminds me of Koa. I am finishing a walnut bowl now with mixture of 4/1 danish oil/poly and had to think if it was really walnut or some Koa that I had brought back from Hawaii a couple of years ago. Glad to see your walnut came out looking like this form the old log. It must have something to do with the aging process since the piece that I had turned was and old log section donated to me from another turners stash.

Gary....that's beautiful!

Very Lovely

Gary,

The lighter color from the old wood is very nice! I have a few old chunks laying around that I get to now and then so I hope they have some nice color differentials in them! I cored a 3 bowl set the other day from some of the slab wood from out last haul of big walnut and they turned out very nice! These logs had sat a year so the slab was pretty dry when I turned them, but they are very dark.

Thanks for sharing your very nice bowl with us!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Beautiful wood. Great looking piece. Love th outside curve.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Gary:

I really like your bowl, but it appears to be lacking one feature that would make it better - A signature!!!

Richard

Lovely bowl! I also love the outside curve. Very nice form and a pretty piece of wood. Great job!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Great bowl. Nice color and grain in the wood and a wonderful form. Surprising the wood was so nice if the sap wood rotted away.

Beauty

That piece is really a beauty. The curves are great. It always amazes me what lurks inside a punky old log. It is like magic! Good job.

very nice looking bowl...it always nice to get something that beautiful from a ugly log
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Really nice looking bowl. Love the outside shape and grain and color of the wood.

Excellent!
    Change One Thing