Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT making various tools

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bell CA View Post
    I agree with the OP in cases where someone takes a product, reverse engineers it , and then starts to mass produce it for sale. This is wrong.

Richard
    Why spend money for R&D just buy it then manufacture the same product. Best Wood Tools has some really nice tool rests but some company bought the entire set... now this company sells the same rest... matter of fact the entire set. The company is across the ocean and the biggest on the planet... it didn't stop them.

dunno

Well, I not only make most of my own tools also build my own lathes as well, and I am not sure here that leaves me at the moment.

Having spent many years running a R&D machine shop. Innovation and change are second nature to me.I often take ideas or part thereof and see what improvements can be had and build my own

As for the Easy Rougher it would be one of the simplest tools to copy and so we see people doing so rightly or wrong.Its often about saving a buck and or the satisfaction of making your own.

As wood turners we make bowls,candle sticks, duck calls and you name it we have a go at it. We make our own lathe stands, tool-rests, vac chucks and as much of the accessories as we can. We are by nature 'makers of things' It comes with the territory so to speak.

Any manufacturer out there who believes other wise is most likely having himself on.Patents don't protect much when it all comes down to it.
    But good marketing and pricing will always be a major challenge for all imitators to over come Thompson tools is a good example they are well marketed and well priced. I buy them, he just so good at what he does. Although I could make my own and pretty well copy his methods etc it ain't worth the effort.
    neil

The wooden Potter

My two cents

There really often isn't "one" of anything. In the history of man when there was "one" it quickly became "one plus something". This is true of everything, not just tools. Innovation is great, but when somebody decides to manufacture something, if there is something inherently unique then patent laws are in place for protection. For sure, I don't like the idea of somebody ripping somebody off. Often being in business is not about the uniqueness of the item or service, it is about many other elements of a value proposition. (build quality, quantity, availability, service, etc.)

I make tools for the fun of it. I buy a heck of a lot more of them. If something is easy enough for me to make in my shop and somebody is selling it, they better be paying attention to the other elements of the value proposition, 'cause I ain't no super builder.

I am glad somebody copied arrowheads and hatchets or we may not be here.

Another $0.02

As ya'll know I just make a Jamieson style hollowing rig, well I didn't make the laser yet. I wrote a quick email to Lyle today to inquire about just purchasing the "attach" points to his laser system. Lyle himself called me back, and after some talking I realized it might not be prudent for me to go this route. It was at about this time that Lyle started to tell me that it is possible to make the attach points myself...not only that, but even gave some insights on how to do so. I thought this was great, he like many others stated " I don't want to spend my time making jigs, I'd rather be turning." It was a great. Just thought I'd share and add this here.