Thread: Rotary phase convertor

Rotary phase convertor

Good evening gentleman. Anyone ever used Gentec :American Rotary phase convertors in their shops? Or does anyone have a brand of phase convertor with which they have had good results? I'm looking to power up a 5HP shaper this month and am ready to purchase a convertor. I'm leaning away from a VFD for a variety of reasons. Any input is greatly appreciated.

A VFD would seem to be the ideal match for a shaper. I will allow you to increase or decrease the speed at the turn of a dial.

CPeter

I have one and it was very easy to install and seems to work well. All I needed to purchase was the wire I needed and the wire clamps that are used on the box. No noise complaints and the technician I talked to was really helpful in sizing the unit.
    Give them a call, they also sell VFD and will steer you in the right direction for your application.
    Tom

I had a 20 hp American Rotary phase converter before I had to close my shop. There may be others as good, but I don't think you will find anything better. If I ever need one again I won't even look around. I will just order one from them.

In the machining world, Phase-a-matic is one of the premium brands. Lots of high dollar CNC equipment operates off of those.

Roto-phase is another well known brand.

I have a 5 horse one. Works fine for me. Nice people, answered all my questions. Have used it for 5 years now. bob

My last journeyman bought a relatively inexpensive rotary phase converter. It was made by American,if I remember correctly. It is nice and heavy duty. P.S.-I just googled it. A 3 h.p. is $427.50.considerably less than other brands that I know of.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-16-2009 at 5:54 PM.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have no experience with phase convertors and its good to know this is a reliable brand. I called them, very friendly and helpful tech, also very knowledgeable. Phase-o-matic is out of the budget, but they do seem to be a top maker. I think I will order a 10HP unit tonight based on American Rotary's guidance. Apparently Italian motors built after a certain date follow an IEC standard and an even stricter Italian national standard that requires more windings for efficiency but requires more starting current to fully energize?

I was told a 7.5HP unit would most likely start and run the shaper, but that it was close enough to the margin to consider moving up to the next size unit. I figure 10HP should cover me down the road if I ever add another 3PH machine. I ruled out the VFD because the unit to push a 5HP motor is a bit more than the rotary convertor and is dedicated to only one machine, and while speed control on the fly is appealing, speed changes on this particular unit are fairly easy with the step pulley system. I'd prefer to have a three phase circuit to which I can attach other machines should the opportunity arise.