Thread: Dowel Plate Woes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Marcus Brown View Post
    Harry, you're like the MacGuyver of woodworking. I think with some wood and your tools you could make just about anything. The world needs more guys like you.
    So true. If a nuclear physicist or a brain surgeon should wander onto this site and post some pictures of the tools they use, I imagine Mr. Strasil would soon post pictures of similar tools he forged himself...

FWIW, I find the dowels go thru the holes easier if I hold onto the dowel while pounding it thru.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    FWIW, I find the dowels go thru the holes easier if I hold onto the dowel while pounding it thru.
    That's how I ended up with my blood blister, LOL. Well, that combined with bad aim ...

I spent some more time last night working on this technique. Used a 5-lb sledge and tried to focus on hitting it squarely and evenly. Had some better luck. Also had really decent results on some bits of cherry, leading me to believe this could be easier with the harder woods.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Mike