Thread: automatic shop vac power switch

automatic shop vac power switch

I've seen mention a couple of times on the forum about a device that automatically turns on your shop vac or DC system when you power up your equipment (TS, BS, DP, etc.). Could someone refer me to a thread or website that describes and sells such a device. I'd also like to know if there's one for a 220V Table Saw to power up a 120V vacuum system.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Kevin, I use the system that was originally published in FWW, Aug 2000. It uses a SSAC brand sensor, through which the leads to your machines pass. When it senses current, it sends a signal to close relay for DC unit. I added a "delay on off" timer, so unit runs about 10 seconds after tool shuts down. This allows for cleaning of the pipes. Everything is mounted in the bottom of my shop panel box. On a 220 circuit, you only need to pass one leg through the sensor. I use "multiwire branch circuits" for my circuits in my shop. At each location, I have two 110 outlets, and one 220 outlet. One of the 110's and the 220 operate the DC unit. Mine has been in operation for ove seven years now, without a problem. If I was using a "remote system," by now I would have lost at least a half dozen remotes.

I think this is what you are talking about

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001815.php
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Blog Entries
    Don't know of any for 220v. The C-man ones are reported to work fine by a few respected folks around here. I picked up a couple of these on sale or I would have the C-man's as well. One is for my ROS sanders and routers and fires up the large vac with the long-long hose. The other has a power strip plugged into it so my DPs, OSS and smaller BS all trigger it. I move the hose from machine to machine on that group. All those particular machines are positioned so that the hose move is real close.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-18-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the C-man one. Works great. Cheap. It's 110V only though.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 09-19-2009 at 1:18 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'll second the C-man unit. If i remember correctly it was a lot less $$ than the ones sold at places like woodcraft. It also has two triggered outlets instead of one (not sure what to use the second one for). I love mine.

Ecogate. Not the cheapest system but without question the "best" thing out there.
    ecogate.com
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Kevin, I use the system that was originally published in FWW, Aug 2000. It uses a SSAC brand sensor, through which the leads to your machines pass. When it senses current, it sends a signal to close relay for DC unit. I added a "delay on off" timer, so unit runs about 10 seconds after tool shuts down. This allows for cleaning of the pipes. Everything is mounted in the bottom of my shop panel box. On a 220 circuit, you only need to pass one leg through the sensor. I use "multiwire branch circuits" for my circuits in my shop. At each location, I have two 110 outlets, and one 220 outlet. One of the 110's and the 220 operate the DC unit. Mine has been in operation for ove seven years now, without a problem. If I was using a "remote system," by now I would have lost at least a half dozen remotes.
    Haven't been home to find that issue, but i think the sensor might be the LCS10T12. Looks interesting. I found them for about $6.00. Might be an interesting project!