Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some small hammers I have made

Some small hammers I have made

These are some hammers I made for working with silver,jewelry or engraving.

The pictures are a bit fuzzy. I've got to start using the larger camera!

The two hammers at the top are made of drill rod,hardened and drawn to a spring temper. They have different curvatures to their faces and peins. Their handles are hickory. The heads are 2 1/4" tall.

The larger hammer at the bottom,with the wide face and short handle is for driving engraving tools. The face is almost 2" wide,and the handle is ash. It is color case hardened.

The in between hammers are chasing hammers. They have conventional shaped ash handles. The ash handles were stained with potassium permanganate (KMNO4),which is poisonous when wet. However,it used to be used for treating poison ivy. It oxidizes the wood very beautifully,being full of oxygen. Never get it into turpentine,as it will explode. Getting hard to get these days due to potential use in explosives. There is varnish over the stains.

The brass hammer has seen much use,and was made for adjusting plane irons. As you can see,the brass takes a beating,but you can still see the design work that it has. The cross pein is for short blades that might get close to the wedge.

I want to make more of the hammers at the top,with cross peins of different curvatures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-16-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Wow George, I am impressed. You are a multi-faceted man.

Both the hammer heads and the handles are beautiful. Thanks for posting.
    Best Regards, Ken

Beautiful! Now I have another thing to think about (Gee, maybe I'll make a hammer or two in my 'spare' time).

Nice hammers George.

You'll have to reveal a bit more detail as to how you made them. Where did you find 2" dia drill rod?
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Thank you for the comments,guys. I made the 2" one out of mild steel,and case hardened it for hours. You can get 2" drill rod,and I have it larger than that,but it gets very expensive!

I have had some tool steel square bar stock for many years,about 1 1/2" square. I've been tempted to make some hammers out of it,and may do it. I'm really not a "hammer man" by trade like Harry Strasil is. He's made quite an array of special hammers.

My anvil is well polished on its top and horn for silver work. I should post a picture. It was a school anvil,and had hardly any use. I ground it down with blue belts and a belt sander to get rid of the small hammer marks. Then,I polished it to the point where surface features are not seen on silver that is hammered upon it. That took hours anyway,because the whole anvil is very hard. It is solid steel,and an unusual type called a Soho engine forger's anvil. The hardie hole is hear the horn. I'm not sure why that is,but the master blacksmith identified the type. He collects anvils!!!

The hammers are nearly all lathe work,except for milling the eye for the handles. I should dig out 1 I have in progress and post it.

The brass hammer was sawed out of 5/8" brass,and except for milling the eye,is nearly all file work. Too bad brass doesn't last,but my plane irons did! The hand made ones are polished,too,and had to be protected.

The most work is in polishing the heads after they are turned. Like many things I make,they were made because I wanted to design them.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-19-2009 at 8:01 AM.

Those are beautiful, George. Exquisite work as always! You have inspired me. I am going to have to make a hammer now.

Bob

That's some fine work, George. I'm always amazed at the skills you have.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Beautiful George!

I have a particular interest in the "ball" handles. I purchased an English strap hammer with a ball end and it is very comfortable and accuarate to use. I rehandled a cross pane with a handle I made with a "ball" and it is now more comfortable than prior.

In your opinion, why are there not more hammers handled this way?

T.Z.

Only chasing hammers are handled like that. They are sort of flicked up and down.The balls are actually ovals if looked at from the end of the hammers.

Do you use soft brass or hard brass for your hammer? Nice looking work, adding this to my list of things to do when I have time.

It is just half hard 260 alloy because I had some available.

great and gorgeous tools!!!!!! post your jewelry!!!!! have a great day...

We have a website bijou graphique. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it or not. I made some of the more complicated models,and do the tooling. my wife makes most of the models and runs the business.

Very nice George!!!!

PS.... your saw is on it's way! Thanks!

George, your hammers are works of art!