Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much time do you spend woodworking versus shop tuning?

Thumbs up shop time

Since I retired 1 1/2 years ago, the ratio was the golden rule -- 80/20. The shop being 80, buying tools, fixing jigs and fixtures, storage, dust collection..... Now I am moving towards a 50/50 balance and ultimately (maybe??) reverse to a 20/80.
    I have learned that the previous guy saying , "it is the journey.." that is important. Doing what you enjoy is waht it is all about.

So -- do enough to keep your wife off your back and have some spending money to buy more "man toys" is my spin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ricker View Post
    It's really about the journey rather than the destination.
    Ha, I must really be in it, as I read the above quote as " It's really about the JOINERY rather than the destination."

You nailed me. Just don't tell anybody. I haven't been around here much lately because I built a welding room. Didn't stop there as now I have purchased a beautiful metal lathe made locally (Standard Modern Series 2000) have it all apart for the refurbishment and am eyeing a Bridgeport Milling machine that I would hope to adapt to CNC in a year or two. I love being in the shop. So far it's not what I make, but what I can make. I also added a Library in a cabinet.
    Bob S.
    http://www.lancasterfm104.com/history.html

A whole year of shop tuning

My gross ratio is about 20 to 1.

I spent about 20 years making a lot of nice furniture and built-ins. Gradually I outgrew my shop. Last year I started a major shop overhaul. I'm still rebuilding the shop. It's gonna be nice, but now I can't see it being done before Christmas. I told myself that the shop itself was a big woodworking project. With that in mind, I've enjoyed it and soon I'll have a killer shop.

Sincerely,

Ed Garrett