Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need an OS upgrade?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Not too worried about [the government], but more worried to handing over my privacy to a publicly owned company.
    We're funny creatures like that (Americans mostly, I imagine)... we don't like the government spying on us, but we tend to accept it will happen and (for the most part) ignore it. But make it a company that could make money off of the exact same conversation and we get all bent out of shape. Maybe it's because it offends our delicate sensibilities about them making money without any tangible return for us (I almost said "nothing" instead of "tangible", but then I realized quite a few systems work that way.. the stock market could be considered similar in nature if you're not directly investing, but people are still making money off of you).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Privacy? What is that? Wait, hold on a sec.... yep found it in an OLD DICTIONARY when it was still in existence.

–noun, plural -cies.
    1. the state of being private; retirement or seclusion.
    2. the state of being free from intrusion or disturbance in one's private life or affairs: the right to privacy.

HA, those days are long gone. It seems like more and more everyday more information is gathered on us. I am willing to bet the Govt. knows much more about me than I do. When I worked in defense systems the initial background check provided something like 140 pages of information on me. It included going back to childhood and listed everyone that was a neighbor, and some of them they even called and asked what kind of a child I was. I am glad they all lied or I wouldn't be able to get a job at McDonalds lol. Sadly, that was almost 20 years ago, no telling how big that book would be today.
    One thing about it though, after age 22 or so, that book got real boring. I pity the fool that would have to read through my last 23 years.

Monday 21, 09, 2009 12:47:32 P.M. Subject was noted sitting at his desk in his underwear making comments on an international Forum that discusses "Laser Engravers (code for laser guidance systems) called Sawmill Creek aka "The Creek" aka "The Forums". Potential security risk level 3 information being released reporting that he is observing us observing him and what we are observing to unknown quantities of national and international masses. Subject is known to communicate with a known British hoodlum who uses the alias Frank Corker, aka Uncle Frank aka Frank the Graphics Bank. Frank Corker is a known international graphics connoisseur with high traffic trading across Europe and the Americas.
    We will update on subject again when he gets up in a few moments to "microwave his lunch" (code for assembling anti-govt. monitoring devices).
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Quote Originally Posted by John W. Love View Post
    Subject is known to communicate with a known British hoodlum who uses the alias Frank Corker, aka Uncle Frank aka Frank the Graphics Bank.
    Shall we call him "The Falcon" from this point on?

Very funny John, sadly, I thought I was reading my own story. Except I had to drive to work in my underwear for that all to happen.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Lie glibly on the forms, is the best advice I can give. Just because you're ordered to give your real name; doesn't mean you actually have to submit it. The more strident the demands for personal information, the more important it is to throw a spanner in, is my experience.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-21-2009 at 10:45 PM.

I watched a TV programme -ooh it must have been about 1998- about the most powerful people in the UK. #3 was the head of the MI6 because he could tap into "every email; phone call and text mesage" in realtime.

"Bollocks" thinks I. That ain't real. So I looked it up. Turns up the bit of kit costs 16 million squid (from switzerland) and you have to insert it into the right place in the phone exchange. But yes it's doable. And that was last century.

When governments legislate themselves the right to read your personal email is the time to start using encryption. Or at least SSL. Just on general principles and to make the (fatherless people) earn their money.

I wouldn't be paranoid if they weren't out to get me....
    I've tried one more than one occasion to get a job at the NSA (particularly because they have a main office a few miles from me) doing signal processing work in one of their Signal Intelligence group, but so far have been met with an empty Inbox. Maybe if my current contract doesn't work out I'll try again.
    Of course, by posting that, you've barred yourself from getting the job. If I were a spookmeister, you would have gone down in the "spreads information- can't be trusted" list.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-21-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Operating system upgrade!

Now what was the original question that started this thread????

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

WHAT? SPEAK UP! I CAN'T HEAR YOU THROUGH MY AFDB

It was years ago, but at the same time I discovered the above site, I also discovered this one. The two are inextricably linked in my mind. What that says about the state of my mind/memory/need for therapy is left as an exercise for the student. Don't go to the second one if you're having breakfast, but apart from that you're OK.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-22-2009 at 1:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Null View Post
    ...because he could tap into "every email; phone call and text mesage" in realtime.

Turns up the bit of kit costs 16 million squid (from switzerland) and you have to insert it into the right place in the phone exchange. But yes it's doable. And that was last century.
    And in this century, all they have to do is place a call or press a few computer keys and the call/email is routed directly to their desk (wiretapping order optional). The resolution of satellite imagery is downright scary these days.

On the cell phone subject, is it weird?

Remember 30 years back when people were embarrassed to be seen wearing a hearing aid about the size of a small banana behind their ear? Technology raced ahead to make them so small you can now barely see them.

Enter stage right, the ubiquitous Blue Tooth cell-phone ear piece and mike, worn proudly like a status symbol of some sort. I have seen smaller transistor radios in the dollar store than some of them.

Do people really get that many calls that they have to be ready in an instant for hands free talking even wandering the aisles of the supermarket?

Ahhh, progress eh?

[back on topic]
    Dan, what's the advantage of paying extra for the w7 DVD as opposed to just burning one from the download?
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Dan, what's the advantage of paying extra for the w7 DVD as opposed to just burning one from the download?
    Instant access to a production-pressed CD? I also find that the downloaded versions of whatever tend to not include all of the "extras", though I can't say if that's the case here.

Besides, I already download a ton of stuff every month, so no need to make Verizon think I'm running a P2P warez network by adding yet another several Gigs of content to the bandwidth counter At some point, they begin to place caps on their "unlimited" plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Besides, I already download a ton of stuff every month, so no need to make Verizon think I'm running a P2P warez network by adding yet another several Gigs of content to the bandwidth counter
    Now we're getting down to why the NSA isn't answering your emails
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

WHAT? SPEAK UP! I CAN'T HEAR YOU THROUGH MY AFDB

It was years ago, but at the same time I discovered the above site, I also discovered this one. The two are inextricably linked in my mind. What that says about the state of my mind/memory/need for therapy is left as an exercise for the student. Don't go to the second one if you're having breakfast, but apart from that you're OK.
    Ok, two thoughts come to mind.
    1.) Your hyper paranoid and afraid the govt. is gonna pick your brain and tax you out the butt....
    Wait... thats not paranoia, that's reality! Ok forget the hyper paranoia comment.

2.) It appears you do know your head from your butt afterall. See Steve, I told you that you were wrong about Darren.
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Talking

Last edited by Darren Null; 09-22-2009 at 8:13 PM.

I also discovered this one. The two are inextricably linked in my mind. What that says about the state of my mind/memory/need for therapy is left as an exercise for the student. Don't go to the second one if you're having breakfast, but apart from that you're OK.
    I've often heard (and used) the expression, but I never really thought about anyone actually doing it. And, with such an array of items
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it