Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which sawzall should I buy?

I opted for the Milwaukee. I is one heck of a saw. I bout it for yard work and haven't regretted it one bit.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

When looking for a saw, i stopped at a borg, and the salesman picked up a Milwaukee, held it at arms length, straight out, then turned it on. Then we did that with a few others. I later bought the Milwaukee.

For heavy duty work i use the Hilti WSR 1400 but it is a two handed beast that is so powerful that it has a soft start switch so as not to rip your arm out of its socket when you turn it on. I nick named it the "widow maker" becqause the first time i was using it to cut a post out from under a header at about waist level when the blade got bound up on the post when the full weight of the header pinched the blade and slammed the handle into my groin so hard it made me turn white.

For light weight work i use the Dewalt DW304PK. The nice feature about this saw is the 4 position head. it allows the blade to be used regular style and also flush against the side to make flush cuts. All things considered it is a great saw and well worth the money.
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 10-02-2009 at 4:23 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

I've had the Milwaukee Super Sawzall for several years - its been lent out to friends, used, abused, dropped and works like a champ.

Watch what model you buy - I always "go for the gusto" and buy the most powerful model - I know a few years back they had several models. The "Super sawzall" was the 10 amp motor i believe. It also has variable trigger speed as well as a dial for 1-5.

The dial is EXTREMELY nice since it lets you cut the speed of the motor and still hold a tight grip and fully squeeze the trigger...works wonderfully.

Plus, the blades are available everywhere - doesn't DW have their own shank style?

My Dewalt 18v XRP has yet to find any problem. Quick blade changes and has plenty of power. If you must go corded, I would vote Milwaukee.

Hello,
    I use an electric chain saw for yard work.
    I paid ~ $50.00 for a 14" Remington @ the borg.

Not as glamerous as a sawzall, but it gets the job done & from what I've see doing the same things w/my 13.5amp Bosch - a lot faster.

Watch what model you buy - I always "go for the gusto" and buy the most powerful model - I know a few years back they had several models. The "Super sawzall" was the 10 amp motor i believe.
    The Super is & from what I remember, the full 15 amp.
    The regular Sawzall is lower amperage - 10 to 12.

One problem with full 15 amp tools is running them on extension cords.
    You need 12 ga or heavier for the 15 amp tools.
    IIRC, even w/12 ga cords, you're limited to 25 feet. <<- I may be wrong here, it may be 50 feet.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 10-02-2009 at 4:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Hello,
    I use an electric chain saw for yard work.
    I paid ~ $50.00 for a 14" Remington @ the borg.

Not as glamerous as a sawzall, but it gets the job done & from what I've see doing the same things w/my 13.5amp Bosch - a lot faster.

The Super is & from what I remember, the full 15 amp.
    The regular Sawzall is lower amperage - 10 to 12.

One problem with full 15 amp tools is running them on extension cords.
    You need 12 ga or heavier for the 15 amp tools.
    IIRC, even w/12 ga cords, you're limited to 25 feet. <<- I may be wrong here, it may be 50 feet.

Hey, you're probably right, Rich. It's been too many years since I did the research before buying and have forgotten the amps on the motor. It's for sure the Super though, she's a beast of a tool!!!

As for length of extension cords...i think its 50' on the 12ga.

Smile Bought the Dewalt

Based on Matts advice I went to Home Depot & tried the Dewalt & the Milwaukee. I wound up with the Dewalt because:
    -I liked the feel of it

-it has a four position blade which seems like a good idea (quite possibly an option I'll never use, like many options on equipment I buy)

-the Dewalt rep was there & explained a lot about it to me...I realize he wouldn't be too objective but he was pretty helpful

Thanks for all the helpful advice
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I wound up with the Dewalt because:
    -I liked the feel of it
    Welcome to the club
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

There are a lot of reciprocating saws out there but only one is a Sawzall made by Milwaukee.

Another vote for Craftsman "Professional"---- 10 years old and still running strong
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---