Thread: Turned Box

Turned Box

I have been teaching myself to turn end grain boxes. Some of them are even coming out round.

Here is my latest effort involving a very hard wood purported to be " red elm". Very hard wood but it did cut very cleanly. Open pores were difficult to finish.

The box is 3" in diameter and a little less than 4" tall.

Thanks for looking...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Beautiful box mike. I have made three boxes and none look that good. I'm still putting the tennon on the lid but will change for the next one. Tom

Mike,

Looks pretty darn good to me!! No way I could do something that nice. Care to share any tips or tricks?

Jack

Thanks Jack,

I turned this box and all the others I've turned following the steps outlined in Richard Raffan's book on turning boxes. I wouldn't pretend to be an expert but I have had success attempting to do as he writes. I highly recommend the book if you are interested in turning end grain boxes. One recommendation- I find that good hardwoods make better boxes than any softwoods. I tried some straight grain fir that was very fine and tight grained. Results were not good.

Thanks again.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Great Box Mike!

I got Richard Raffan Set of three books for my birthbay, but haven't had time to do more than browse them. I guess I need to turn over a new leaf and Get in there and practice!

Bruce

Like I said at that "other place"...outstanding, Mike.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice box Mike, I think I would like to attempt one like that. You mind if I copy your design?
    I cut it twice and it's still too short

Robert, you are certainly welcome to copy the design but I think mine is just an adaptation of similar boxes in the Raffan book so I cannot honestly say it is "my" design. However I am flattered that you wish to copy it. Enjoy.
    Big Mike

Thanks Mike and keep posting pics of your great work.
    I cut it twice and it's still too short

10. Nice piece of work, Mike. I like the grain on that one, it compliments the shape so well.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Great job Mike!
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Mike -

Looks like you have the hang of it. Great job!

Ted

Very nice finish. What type and how many layers. Use a filler? Phil
    Philip

Thanks Phil, no fillers but several coats, 5 or 6, of thinned mixture of BLO, tung oil and varnish. Finish flooded on, allowed to soak in and buffed dry on lathe. Pores caused bleedback problem so I had to keep wiping to prevent beads from forming. I guess I eventually got them filled as it is nice and smooth.
    Big Mike