Thread: Krenov Style only?... Making and Mastering Wood Planes, David Finck

Krenov Style only?... Making and Mastering Wood Planes, David Finck

Is David Finck's book "Making and Mastering Wood Planes" ONLY about Krenov style planes?

Thanks,

dan
    Building my own Legos!

Dan,

I have the book in front of me.

Krenov style planes are the only planes he shows how to make.

He does have additional chapters on "Tuning and Using hand Tools", "Sharpening Techniques", "Planing Techniques", "Planing Aids ad Special Techniques", and "Scraping Techniques".

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Yes, Finck's book is Krenov planes only. If you are interested in traditional wooden planes, check out the two books by John Whelan.

Making Traditional Wooden Planes

and

The Wooden Plane: Its History, Form and Function

Yes, it's only Krenov-style.

Even if you do want to build a Krenov-style wood plane, you don't need (or necessarily want) the book.

I left a lengthy review of the book on Amazon.

Thanks

Thanks all for the info.

not my kind of book. I've got the two Whelan books though.

Dan
    Building my own Legos!

James,

I couldn't find your review and I wanted to read it first before I responded. But with respect to your experience, I myself read it cover to cover and have found it useful. and have gotten a lot of delight in making the Krenov style planes.

I am very interested in other kinds of planes now. Would you and Dan and others recommend those Whelan books as an effective guide to making some other kinds of planes?

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Whelan books

I would definitely recommend the Whelan books if you are going to get into "traditional" planemaking.

cheers,

dan
    Building my own Legos!

There are some worthwhile things about it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
    Is David Finck's book "Making and Mastering Wood Planes" ONLY about Krenov style planes?

Thanks,

dan
    He does go into some things that are applicable to some others styles of wood plane, for example tips on materials, making the blade ramp straight and true, filing open the mouth, fitting a wedge, and so forth. Depending on your previous experience with wood planes and general woodworking knowledge, you may or may not find those things to be useful.

I have a book called "Wooden Planes and How to Make Them," by David Perch and Robert S. Lee (available from Lee Valley)." It assumes that you already have some basic knowledge about the process, so it shouldn't be the only book you buy if you're a total begineer. However, it has drawings, dimensions, and pointers on a bunch of different specialty planes. I found it to be both very interesting and valuable.

Jim

This book is great BTW. I have it , read it, and made one plane so far and it is a great plane and I do have a few plane...

10. Quote Originally Posted by James Scheffler View Post
    I have a book called "Wooden Planes and How to Make Them," by David Perch and Robert S. Lee (available from Lee Valley)." It assumes that you already have some basic knowledge about the process, so it shouldn't be the only book you buy if you're a total begineer. However, it has drawings, dimensions, and pointers on a bunch of different specialty planes. I found it to be both very interesting and valuable.

Jim
    The Perch/Lee book and Whelan's Making Traditional Wooden planes are both outstanding. I would highly recommend both.

Whelan's other book (history, form and function) is also outstanding, but it has a lot less information about making the planes.

I have not seen these DVDs but knowing the caliber of planes Larry and Don make, you probably couldn't go wrong. http://www.planemaker.com/
    Dave

12. Hi Dave,

The Larry Williams and Don McConnell DVDs are superb - some of the best intructional videos I have ever seen. THat said, though, they really don't cover bench planes -- they are focused on side escapement planes (Holows & Rounds, molding planes, snipes bills, etc) and on making traditional moldings with them.

molding planes

In my dreams if I ever get any time I would love to make some molding planes for myself. Larry has a 1-1/2 year backlog which is about how long it would take me to make one. Hmmmm, if I order now we could see who would win. I know his would be better than mine

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    James,

I couldn't find your review and I wanted to read it first before I responded. But with respect to your experience, I myself read it cover to cover and have found it useful. and have gotten a lot of delight in making the Krenov style planes.
    here is his review
    http://www.amazon.com/review/RZIM13X...cm_cr_rdp_perm

amazon has the book listed 2 or 3 times...