Thread: Help Buying Table Saw

Help Buying Table Saw

You guys have helped me decide on the used Grizzly 1023and I am going get it tomorrow. My question is I need some pointers on things to look for or test to make sure nothing is wrong with it other than listening to it run. I haven't been cabinet saws much before and really don't know what to look for other than the odvious abnormal sounds. Thanks !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tullie Templet View Post
    You guys have helped me decide on the used Grizzly 1023and I am going get it tomorrow. My question is I need some pointers on things to look for or test to make sure nothing is wrong with it other than listening to it run. I haven't been cabinet saws much before and really don't know what to look for other than the odvious abnormal sounds. Thanks !!!!!
    Its on sale today for 795

http://grizzly.com/products/10-Table...t-Tilt/G1023SL

Tullie, look for the following;

- absence of rust and cracked or broken pieces
    - elevation and tilt operate smoothly with no binding, jerking or free play
    - arbour threads are in good condition, no free play, not bent or damaged
    - arbour and motor spin freely with no odd sounds or roughness
    - table is flat and in good condition
    - fence locks snuggly, not bent, worn or damaged
    - guards and splitter/riving knife in good condition
    - electrical wiring in good condition, not chewed or damaged
    - voltage and phase is suitable for your shop
    - cabinet isn't missing covers or panels

Regards, Rod.

Also the guy suggested that once we get it on my trailer that we turn it over on the table so it want be top heavy. I will be trailering it 2 1/2 hrs. Is this acceptable or a bad idea. I am not crazy about doing this at all. What do you think?

Take some 4x4s with you. You might want to lay it on its back.
    Also, consider taking the drive belt/s off and support the motor. Styrofoam packing blocks could help with that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

If I lay it on it's back will the 4x4's be tall enough to keep the table off of the trailer. In other words the table will be suspended sort of speak and resting on the cabinet. Not that I don't trust MYK but what does anyone else think about this? I just don't want to mess it up.

Add to that some 2x4s, 1xs, and whatever you might have for shims. Just get everything nice and snug, and stay off the bumps.
    You'll probably want to check alignment when you get it home anyway.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Top down is one of the safest ways to transport a saw. Lowers the saws center of gravity and the strongest part of the saw can be strapped side to side and front to back. Ratchet straps are your friend. Remove the motor or at least tilt it to 45° and support it with packing foam or a block of wood. If you tilt it to 45° is centers the motor weight over the trunion versus sticking out to the side.
    Last edited by Tom Slupek; 10-15-2009 at 9:41 PM.

If top down doesn't seem like a bad idea I think I may go that way and support the motor. I'm worried about damaging the cabinet the other way. Thanks MYK for your idea and Tom for confirming the other idea. I don't think I will sleep tonight. I feel like a little kid. Bad as it sounds this is a dream come true. HOPEFULLY. Wish me luck guys and I'll post pics if I get it. Thanks !!!

I would definitely remove the motor. It is easy to do and you won't have to worry every time you hit a bump or a pothole. I brought my basket case Uni home in 3 pieces: top, motor, base/trunion. It made it easier getting it in and out of the truck. You will want to pull the top to check the trunions anyway. You were going to check/realign when you get it home.