Thread: Woodcraft 4-Jaw Chuck

Woodcraft 4-Jaw Chuck

I'm wanting to try my hand at turning some miniature birdhouses. Woodcraft has a Self-Centereing 4-Jaw Chuck on sale for $74.99. I know there are much better chucks out there, but this price is tempting me to go ahead & pick it up.

Any ideas on this chuck, or anyone using it? Thanks in advance for any responses on this.
    Billy

chuck

i have that chuck over a year now works good for me and a great value for th price has a good list of jaws to choose from.

I’ve had one for a little over a year and it has met most of my needs.
    Pro’s It will adjust about 1 inch. (My new Nova only adjust about ¾ inch).
    Con’s There is no stop for the jaws so they will fall out if opened too far.
    Jaws were poorly stamped (numbered); I finally engraved them to be readable.
    I also purchased the #1 jaws which goes down to 3/8 inch…about $20.
    You may also want to check out http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2009/Main/130
    for their $99 chuck. I have never used one but I have read a lot of good reviews.
    Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Try e-bay and search for the Nova g3. One handed operation, and all the jaws interchange if you wan to go bigger, or smaller. Last I heard it's 129 and free shipping, which is more than 75 bucks. It's the only series of chucks I've owned. I also have the midi, which is 2 handed operation, but is physically a smaller check. The g3 is a "fat" chuck, and will cut into your length about an inch (extra). Pretty critical if you only have a mini. Just something else to consider.

I have a couple of the Woodcraft chucks and they work great, no problems.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Ive had mine for over a year and still like it
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I will probably pick up a chuck soon to start playing with. I don't know why I let the vortex pull me down into another direction. I seem to always be behind in my penmaking so I've really got plenty of work to keep me busy just making pens.
    Billy

Hey Billy don't mind that sucking, swishing sound.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Tallant View Post
    ... I don't know why I let the vortex pull me down into another direction. I seem to always be behind in my penmaking so I've really got plenty of work to keep me busy just making pens.
    Let the vortex pull you down? There is no letting involved. Resistance if futile. Woodturning is is an addiction for which there is no 12 step program!

10. Ah yes the vortex. Call the bank second/third mortgage. More wood, more tools. more ...
    Mark