Thread: Tigerwood and exterior glue question

Tigerwood and exterior glue question

Yeah, sounds like a golf joke, but I' doing a job that requires tigerwood to be glued for a deck trim. This stuff is heavy and seems oily and slick. The joints will be lap and t&g but I have never glued this stuff. Any suggestions? This will get snow, rain, sun etc. Thanks

Me tinks epoxy will do, with a wash of acetone to temporarily remove oiliness.

Best "golfism" I can apply to this would be to "grip it and rip it". Sorry, about as funny as it is helpful....
    I drink, therefore I am.

TBIII works great on oily wood and is waterproof i have seen epoxy fail on ipe while TBIII didnt

Thanks, I'll get some TBIII tomorrow to try it for a test piece.

Here is a blurb from the Advantage lumber site about working with Tigerwood. I have found it is far easier to work with than Jatoba and didnt have any problems with gluing. I would opt for TBIII also.

Working properties from Advantage website:
    Difficult to work. Moderate to severe blunting effect on cutters. Requires reduced angle cutting due to hard and soft layers and irregular grain. Pre-drilling is required for nailing, but holds screws well. Glues easily and finishes with a high natural polish.

I love that 'moderate to severe' stuff. I have to plane some 11"wide boards, so I guess I'll have to sharpen afterwards. I usually sharpen my jointer myself and haven't had to sharpen my 20" planer -just have to bite the bullet and send the blades in. Just tried the TBIII. Thanks Brad.

Paul I would be very interested to know your results with the TB3. I'm about to do some planters with Ipe, and it's also a pretty oily wood.

-Stephen