Thread: small dovetailed box

small dovetailed box

A local contractor I know gave me some "scrap" wood he had taking up some space in his shop. That would be birdseye maple I resawed to make the top and bottom of this little box. The sides are from a piece of curly cherry, that came as a hunk of wood, split from a log. The curl doesn't show up in my poor photography.

Anyway, I did my usual routine of a sliding lid, but I made the shadow joints to really close tolerances. I hope it doesn't swell shut come summertime. I am donating the box to the silent auction at a local Hospice, which will take place tomorrow night. We'll see how much it brings in.

Finish is shellac and wax.

Last edited by Ken Werner; 10-22-2009 at 5:03 PM.

Very nice Ken! What are the dimensions?

Bryan

Great job, Ken, and some fantastic wood in that bunch of scraps!! Beautiful dovetails, and I really like the design on your cards - sharp!!

So, did Ben turn something for the auction? You need to get him to post some of his work!

Bryan - in round numbers - 2" high, 4.5" wide, 9" long. I made it without measuring anything.

John - Ben made the cards, but didn't turn anything for the auction this time. Just too busy he is. BTW his card reads "Ben Werner Woodturner" kinda catchy.
    Last edited by Ken Werner; 10-22-2009 at 5:04 PM.

Nice box i like simple boxes.Cool lid too .I may try one looks like a good weekend project.once a yearI donate a box for raffles at the university were my wife works.Got a couple of sales after .Last year was slow.Hope this year is better.Thanks for sharing.

Very nice job, Ken. I was at my hardwood supplier yesterday showing a newbie the ropes and I saw some nice birds-eye maple. My first thought was a box lid which you used it for.

Respect for the intended purpose and the build itself...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    Great job for a great cause. Way to go.!!
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Very nice! and great job on the dovetails too!

c

[QUOTE=Ken Werner;1241497]Bryan - in round numbers - 2" high, 4.5" wide, 9" long. I made it without measuring anything.
    QUOTE]

Thanks Ken! You built it from the plan in your head. Pretty much the way I build everything!

Very nice. I Love birdseye maple. When I'm making a piece and it is more feminine I always go for the birdseye maple. There is something so delicate looking about it. Good luck at the auction !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Well, it sold for $35. I was disappointed, but at least it went to a good cause. It was positioned in a fairly dark location between a case of beer and a pig shaped cutting board. [no kidding]. Just wondering if others would feel the same.

Well, let's just say I wouldn't build it for $35!! On the other hand, hospice auctions (and, I have been to many) do not draw a fair cross section of the public. Since they are fund raising events, the folks there usually have some connection to hospice or have had family members as hospice patients. I have found the prices to be horribly low on most things, and a flower arrangement may go through the roof! A friend of mine used to build tables to sell at the local one, and he quit doing that because of the ridiculous price they were bringing.

Don't feel like that was a public mandate on the value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner View Post
    Well, it sold for $35. I was disappointed, but at least it went to a good cause. It was positioned in a fairly dark location between a case of beer and a pig shaped cutting board. [no kidding]. Just wondering if others would feel the same.

Yes, I'd be disappointed too! Would be happier to donate the $35 to the charity and give the box as a gift to a loved one that will cherish it. It's still a beautiful box though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner View Post

Well come on ! What did you expect you can have a wooden box or a case of beer and a ppig cutting board to cut up the limes for tequila shots. You didn't stand a chance with a fine piece of wood working. Perhaps you should have called it a 'stash' box.

For a good cause and someone got quite a bargain !

You should still be proud. It is a fine looking box.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson