Thread: shelf pin from the edge

shelf pin from the edge

This might sound like a silly question but is there a standard for shelf pins from the edge when you drill/route the shelf pin holes?
    Many of these jigs have two or are variable in spacing from the edge. What is the rule of thumb such as what depth from the edge is recommended with shelf size?
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain

If you're using 5 mm shelf pins, the standard set-back for the column of holes is 37 mm. Cup hinges (overlay) use that 37 mm set-back, and many drawer guides have a hole at 37 mm too.

I usually use about 2". To avoid resetting my template, they actually end up 2" from the insdide of the faceframe and something less from the back, depending on the back thickness. But I'm not using the euro system.

greg, if you're not using the pin holes for the attachment of european hardware like drawer slides or hinges, you can put those holes practically anywhere you want them.

I put them 1-1/2" back to the center of the hole

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    greg, if you're not using the pin holes for the attachment of european hardware like drawer slides or hinges, you can put those holes practically anywhere you want them.
    That's the way I see it too.

If you think in the future you will be building Euro boxes, go with 37mm. If the holes are just for shelves, I would go with Matts spacing of 2". The problem with 37mm is, if used on the back run of holes, the shelf pins are too close to the back and when you slide something off the shelf, the shelf slides forward and falls off the back pins.
    David Werkheiser