Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've got a drill decision - could use some advice

1. For cordless
    Take a long hard look at Panasonic
    Then at Bosch

mike,

12 v. nicad battery packs should definitely not die after only two and a half years, especially since you clearly were not using the drill daily...... so switching to replacement batteries from a reliable source might be an idea ....unless you belive the charger be screwed up, overcharging the batteries?

the 18 v. lithium black n white Makita combo that Julien and others have mentioned is what I have and is super.... the impact driver got the best rating in a www.toolsofthetrade.com article a year or so ago.... I also saw a top rating of the driver drill in one of the woodworking magazine a month ago.... the 1.5amp battery pack makes for a super light weight/small form package yet lasts a long time (unless you are a pro working on a remote jobsite).....

other companies are coming out with the same lion powered, small battery 18 v. combos as well

good luck

michael

Yep. Him. Caveat - Don't have one - just read about it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    My old 18 volt Makita batteries are gone. I bought a Makita 14 volt Impact Driver and Drill set at the Atlanta woodworking show a few years ago, just before the lithium drills came out. The 14 volt Makita Impact Driver seems over powered to me. I have a hard time not driving screws out the far side of boards when I use it.

I have a 12 volt Hitachi Impact Driver that I have driven countless screws with during several good size building projects, maybe I just got use to it's touch and feel. I do a fair amount of construction though and 12 volts seems like plenty for driving screws up to 3" and even drilling pilot holes. I can't imagine needing 18 volts for driving screws or pilot holes. If I want to drill a big hole I'm going for the big corded Bosh or the new Milwaukee angle drill. Or maybe the new/vintage Millers Falls Brace I won on Ebay and an auger bit. Sometimes the auger bits in the big Bosh try to turn me.

I think my next battery drill will be a Lithium 12 volt, maybe even less. I am about to try driving screws with the 'hand Drills" I got on Ebay. There are about 200 screws & bolts needed to put up a 50' x 24' party tent. Then I have to replace walls and flooring in my 8' x12' chicken house to convert it to a home for German Shepherd pups... Then I have to enclose a 21' x 16' area under a porch, shees that's a bunch of screws.....

Maybe I will have to run one of my old drills up to the depot and do the trade in for a new Lithium Drill. When you are driving as many screws as I do you start to feel the weight of a big drill by the end of the day, sometimes sooner ;-} The 14 volt Makita I bought last does not seem much less powerful than the old, original 18 volt Makita I have. It has been several more years so I am guessing a 12 volt may be comparable to an older 14.... but then all the drills have gotten lighter too....Maybe I'll play around with braces and drill accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rees View Post
    Definitely don't need a hammerdrill - but I'm wondering if these silver units have the same stoutness built into them as the teal colored ones I'm used to seeing?
    no, they don't.

i've used both. the green ones are generally heftier, stronger, batteries last longer, etc. that's why they cost 100 more.

i have the one david linked on the previous page. a couple of days a week, i use it for 6+ hours a day. holds a charge on one battery that long usually, might have to switch to the spare late in the afternoon. have dropped it ~30 feet onto a concrete driveway while hanging windows once, still works .
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 10-27-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    For cordless
    Take a long hard look at Panasonic
    Then at Bosch
    I'm intrigued by the 15.6 Panasonic NiMH rig. Aside from being married to Amazon or online to by batteries (HD and Lowes don't seem to carry these), the only thing I can see that gives me pause is apparently there is some plastic/nylon in the motor? http://www.cordless-drill-reviews.co...y6432gqkw.html

Lots of online reviewers rave about these drills, but on a part by part basis it seems the Makitas (at least the teal ones) and the DeWalts have more metal in them.

Probably doesn't matter for a DIY guy like me, but if the money is equivalent the question might as well be asked.

I have had Ridgid drills for about 6 years now. Hammerdrills, to imapct drivers.

I just picked up the latest deal from HD and got the 18v Fuego drill (wired magazine rated it #2 with bosch coming in just ahead of that), 2 li-ion battteries, a light and the charger for $199, plus I sent int he rebate for the family and friends deal.

My first Ridgid was a 18v drill. I just gave it to my dad along with the lifetime warranty.

So, I have had dewalt drills - 18v hammer drill, 14v driver, 18v driver... Hands down I like the Ridgid better.

Also, that little fuego packs a MEAN punch! very very strong.. anyhow.. for the money, warranty and quality, I couldnt find a better product.

I remember reading about the older first generation of the black/white/silver Makitas having trouble with the batteries and the chuck. I believe the issues has been worked on, the batteries are improved but not working out for everyone, the chuck issue seems to be resolved. If you do decide to go with one of these drills make sure you get a second generation model, I have no idea if there is an easy way to know the difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Burrell View Post
    I remember reading about the older first generation of the black/white/silver Makitas having trouble with the batteries and the chuck. I believe the issues has been worked on, the batteries are improved but not working out for everyone, the chuck issue seems to be resolved. If you do decide to go with one of these drills make sure you get a second generation model, I have no idea if there is an easy way to know the difference between them.
    I'm leaning away from the black/white Makita given what I'm reading about the batteries the some have (remember, I'm not using this every day so a flaky battery is not something I'll notice until after the point of my being able to return it). Plus, my battery issue is what got me here in the first place. After reading many forums like this, I think I may have caused the premature battery failure - I've been running my tool down to absolute 0 before recharging it. Also, I don't recharge it before I use it, I'll just pull it out of the box and start running it until I drain it. Apparently I'm supposed to charge when I see a drop off in power, and popping it on the charger to top it off before I use it is not taboo anymore.

Maybe the XRP DeWalt isn't bad after all. NiCd has a slower discharge rate over time then NiMH, and the DeWalt charger has tech in it to maintain the bat on trickle as well as equalize the cells after initial charge. Plus I can get batteries at Depot or Lowes if I was in a pinch.

Hrm.

I have the Makita Black Combo like Julian describes and couldn't be happier. The impact driver is awesome and can drive 3 inch screws easily.

I usae the drill more as a drill or if I have to drive something more carefully. The impact drive is more brute strength but so useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rees View Post
    ......Maybe the XRP DeWalt isn't bad after all. NiCd has a slower discharge rate over time then NiMH, and the DeWalt charger has tech in it to maintain the bat on trickle as well as equalize the cells after initial charge. Plus I can get batteries at Depot or Lowes if I was in a pinch.

Hrm.
    Mike, I've good luck with my DeWalt 18V XRP drills, I've gotten 5 year or so out my batteries with almost everyday use as a general contractor. The drills are tough and have been a decent value but really heavy. I have since changed them out for the new Festool T-15 drill. So far the the T-15 has been a nearly perfect tool and accessory chucks are great. Super light. Of course they cost. This is a good drill of the hobbyist with a nice tool budget because the batteries hold their charge so well while not in use.

Check out Hilti too -- great warranty and a little less money than some of the other premium brands, but a little more than Makita's and DeWalts (although not all that much more). If you mess up a battery after the warranty, they will replace it for no more than 30% of the cost of a new tool -- this is in year 3 or year 10...seems like good service to me. I have not had a chance to put it through its paces, but I tested one with a huge Auger bit at HD and it worked very well and held its charge after several holes. With the 15% HD discount, it was a good deal for a premium tool (IMHO).

Good luck,

Scot

I would go for this one

I have had dewalt 18v xrp tools with Nicad batteries forever, love them. All my batteries are near the end of their lives tho, have been thinking about replacing the old nicads with dewalts new NANO-phosphate lithium ion batteries that are backwards compatible with all their old tools, but they cost a pretty penny ($130 a pack plus a new charger).

I have used my 10.8v bosch lithium pocket driver drill (PS20) for 2 years now and love the batteries, they hold their charge even if you let them set for 6 months or more.
    So after dismissing the notion of dewalts lithium bats due to cost, I was about to have my old packs rebuilt until I found this sale over at toolking http://www.toolking.com/dewalt_dc927...mer_drill.aspx I could buy this combo and sell the drill on ebay for $50 or better and have 2 new lithium packs and a charger for $150. If I was in the market for a new drill I would pick this one up at $210, its a steal! I paid $160 for my little Bosch.

Also, have you considered a impact driver? Once you have used one to drive screws you'll never go back to a drill, Honest. I rarely use my drill anymore, only with paddle bits and hole saws. I have a keyless chuck I can put in my impact for drill bits. With the impact you can drive 3"+ screws limp-wristed, up on a ladder leaning over 3ft to the side on your tip toes, no problem.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm down to these 2:

Dewalt DCD920KX - 14.4V, metal chuck, XRP Batteries
    Dewalt DCD760KL - 18V, plastic chuck, compact LiIon Batterie

The 920KX is built more stout, but for my needs the 760KL is probably just fine.

I'm told that the DCD760KL is also sold at your local HD, though I can't find the model on their website. This tool is also not listed on the qualifying skus for 15% Li Ion trade up, but I might be able to talk a manager into letting me in on the deal.

As I understand it, since this tool will go weeks or months between bursts of decent use, if I got the 920KX I'd have to put the batteries on the charger for a good 6 hours or so every month or so to keep the NiCads conditioned (1 hour quick charge, 3 hours maintenance leveling, remainder trickle).

If I got the 760KL, I could pretty much punt on the maintenance and use the tool whenver I needed it (low discharge rate on LiIon).

I've decided to go w/ the DCD760KL. This seems perfect for what I intend to use it for.

Very good video from the DeWalt site:

http://www.dewalt.com/compact/video.htm

This is the kind of company that I want to support w/ my hard earned $$.

Thanks for all your input in this guys.

Mike