Thread: polishing/rubbing compound

polishing/rubbing compound

Hello Creekers, I'm finishing off an oak desktop. I've applied two coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish and am now applying several topcoats of semi-gloss Polyacrylic for durability. I'd like to use some kind of polishing/rubbing compound on the final coat to give it a nice sheen and take out any small defects or scratches. I've got an orbital buffer, but I don't know what to buy or where to get a good polishing compound for a very smooth finish. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Kevin H.

There are better finishers than I, but a) is Antique Oil designed to be topcoated? b) Is Polyacrylic a good choice for rubbing out, or would an alkyd of phenolic varnish, shellac, or lacquer be a better choice? To rub out, the surface needs to be hard and 'brittle'. I'm not sure the polyacrylic fits the bill. I could be wrong.

Regardless, you can use the tried and true rubbing compounds, pumice or rottenstone (I've used them). Personally, I find it easier to use automotive sandpaper starting at grit 600 and working up into the thousands. More efficient and less messy. Just don't be stingy with it; use clean sheets. I've also had modest luck using automotive rubbing compound for leveling (in lieu of pumice) and then automotive polishing compound (instead of rottenstone). I find it easier to apply than the powders, but both slurries need to be completely removed from crevices (sp?) or you'll be seeing white or grey marks for years (DAMHIKT)!
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-03-2009 at 1:32 PM.