Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very small shop dust collection

very small shop dust collection

I have a very small shop its 12x16,i have a delta contractor table saw, 12"planer i use a little.
    I also have a bench and a small wood stove in one corner so i don't have a lot of room.
    What would be the best dust collection system to use ?

Robert

I have the Delta 50-760 for a similar sized shop. It worked very well when I had a five inch flex hose running to the tool, and I moved it around to tools as I needed them. I recently installed four inch pvc pipe to my saw and jointer/planer and it doesn't do as good a job. I'll probably upgrade to a cyclone since I like the wall mounted pvc pipe (which has longer runs to the tools).

I have also installed the Wynn filter in place of the filter bag.

Roger

Could you place the unit outside?? I don't know anything about dust colector, but I've seen them place in outside anex so it does not take any shop room and less noise as well!

Could i take a craftmans shop vac and a Dust Separator Lid that goes on a five gallon bucket to make a half a$$ DC ? Could i put the vac outside the shop and run the hose tru the floor to the bucket then a hose to the TS or Planer?
    The trouble is i have 3 side jobs lined up and withTransmissiontrouble,christmas,and taxes that went up $541.00, no extra money to spend i need cheap.

Right not i have a 3 stage DC part 1 is a box under the TS part 2 is a broom, and part 3 is a dust pan.
    I am thankful for any help from my fellow creekers.

Robert

I had that same three-stage unit for a long time.

If it was me, I'd wait patiently till things lighten up, keep sweeping in the meantime, then first get one of those dust deputy outfits. Later, built a small closet on the outside big enough to house a 2 HP cyclone unit when you can afford it. If that closet doesn't incur zoning violations, make it as big as you can and have some room for wood storage.

Blog Entries
    I was using the same 3 stage system you have. I bought the dust deputy ($100) and hooked my shop vac to it. I drag it around tool to tool. A PITA but it will have to do until I get 2 things - more room and more $$.

I am going to mount them on a rolling platform to make it easier to move around.

If you want cheap, use the Vac (outside, or make certain you have a HEPA filter in it) route it to a trash can separator with a Thien baffle / lid, and expect it will NOT do as good of a job as a true DC..

Now that Delta 50-760 fitted with a Wynn filter is a GREAT suggestion... Use at least 4" duct with it, preferrably larger if you can manage it...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have aproximately the same size shop as you, I have a 1.5 HP Oneida cyclone.

It doesn't take up any more floor space than a bag type collector and it works far better.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I have aproximately the same size shop as you, I have a 1.5 HP Oneida cyclone.

It doesn't take up any more floor space than a bag type collector and it works far better.

Regards, Rod.

Do you have the Mini-Gorilla or the V-System, or some other 1.5 HP model they sell?

Steve, send me your e-mail address in a PM and I'll send you the PDF manual for my cyclone.

It's a 1.5 HP with an external cartridge filter. I opted for the large filter on mine.

You can compare the specifications in the manual to their current models and see what the new equivalent model would be.

I'm extremely pleased with mine...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Steve, send me your e-mail address in a PM and I'll send you the PDF manual for my cyclone.

It's a 1.5 HP with an external cartridge filter. I opted for the large filter on mine.

You can compare the specifications in the manual to their current models and see what the new equivalent model would be.

I'm extremely pleased with mine...........Regards, Rod.
    PM sent...

Robert - You can get the just Dust Deputy (without the buckets and hardware) for $59. This is what I did. Works great.

The Thien baffle works very good too and may be an option. With just a shop vac for DC right now, I'd opt for the Dust Deputy if the 3 stage is no longer feasible.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    PM sent...
    Manual sent via e-mail.........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I was using the same 3 stage system you have. I bought the dust deputy ($100) and hooked my shop vac to it. I drag it around tool to tool. A PITA but it will have to do until I get 2 things - more room and more $$.

I am going to mount them on a rolling platform to make it easier to move around.
    Jim, When you do get this contraption put together there are those of us who would like to see what you come up with. Be sure to post pictures.

I have a Harbor Freight 31810 that I replaced the bag with a Rockler 5 micron bag. I got it on sale for $80, and I use the Harbor Freight flex hose. I took off the casters and bolted it to the wall, and removed the screen plates that were restricting air flow. I run a 4" hose to it. It can handle my Delta 13" planer no problem. I also use it for my lathe and router table. It hardly takes up any space. I'm pretty happy with it.