Thread: What wood is this??

What wood is this??

Any help? I have no idea what this is

Graphic Designer for Col. Littleton.

Blog Entries
    Pine?

Are there any other pictures I could take to identify it?

I am considering cutting it on edge to make a end cut table top.

Looks like yellow pine,but fir could also look like that flat cut.There are several types of pine,though.

Blog Entries
    It looks like pine or fir plywood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    +1 on pine or fir plywood.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You guys are awesome as usual thanks for the quick replies.

yeah, it's a yellow pine. they get grey/black like that on the surface as rainwater washes sap out.

if you plane/sand/cut them, you'll find that distinct red/yellow color still inside.

Looks a lot like Douglas Fir to me, though I'm not sure if a lot of that gets shipped to Nashville? The smell when cut should give it away if it is DF.

Oh, the reasons I'm thinking Doug Fir are three fold. Look at the tight growth rings on the vertical grain side. I'm not used to seeing Yellow pine with that many growth rings spaced that tightly over 6". Next is knots, there basically aren't any except little pencil eraser size. I'm not used to seeing Eastern pine that thick without knots. Last is the color, sort of oxidized red/orange. Thats my best guess short of smelling a fresh cut.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 11-10-2009 at 7:32 PM.

It looks like western red cedar to me. Cut it, the smell is pretty distinctive.

Mike

Smacks of Southern Yellow Pine to me.

Yellow pine in the 18th.C. was very tight grained. I have a Southern yellow pine blanket chest,18th.C.,that has real small grain spaces. How old is the 4X4"? Dense forest growth back then,less light per tree,and the mini ice age till 1857.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Looks a lot like Douglas Fir to me, though I'm not sure if a lot of that gets shipped to Nashville? The smell when cut should give it away if it is DF.

Oh, the reasons I'm thinking Doug Fir are three fold. Look at the tight growth rings on the vertical grain side. I'm not used to seeing Yellow pine with that many growth rings spaced that tightly over 6". Next is knots, there basically aren't any except little pencil eraser size. I'm not used to seeing Eastern pine that thick without knots. Last is the color, sort of oxidized red/orange. Thats my best guess short of smelling a fresh cut.
    the original old growth stuff that was cut down here in the south was typically 20 or so rings per inch. second cuts, 10 or so, toward the middle of WW2, most of the old stuff was gone.

i've seen structrual beams in original buildings around new orleans cut from rare specimens with as much as 50 rings per inch.

http://www.longleafalliance.org/NEWLLA/memoirs.html

if you're bored enough to read an entire text on "how to wantonly destroy a natural resource"...

http://books.google.com/books?id=RgQ...sec=frontcover
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 11-11-2009 at 3:02 AM.

It's Douglas Fir as confirmed by the aunt whose house was built with it (finally got ahold of her).

It's in columbia, tn and its gorgeous.