Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Disaster

Metal fatigue is like when you keep bending a piece of wire till it parts. This is a case of major overload, thin casting and too much stress.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

yepp, you get what you pay for, must have been scary when it happened.

the magnet didn't stick... and it was cracked when I bought it...

if its alum then, its an easy fix, if tho its pot metal, zinc, it can still be patched, and I mean patched, straps bolted to the inside with stove bolts.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Blake,
    Welcome to the School of Hard Knocks.
    From the questions in your 10/17 gloat on the lathe purchase, I'm guessing you're new to woodturning.
    In this post you've said the piece was "a bit large" and a "log." Those two descriptions don't go with the belt position I see in the first photo (looks too fast for roughing an unbalanced piece).
    Nothing gets you up the learning curve like having a mentor (pen pals on the internet don't count). Hook up with a turning club in your area (AAW site lists chapters) or find a Creeker close enough to visit, to observe techniques first-hand.

Bob V

heck does it stay straight now?

Duct tape and ca......

Then enter the ugliest lathe contest...

Something I learned this month was that those lathes had roller bearings, but lousy castings. Too bad. I'd try and salvage it somehow, like casting it in concrete? I wish my 1460 had roller bearings. Harry's the man---

I have a replacement on the way... ... I plan on taking a class or two. I have a guy on my team at work that's been turning for awhile but he does mostly pens and such....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    Something I learned this month was that those lathes had roller bearings, but lousy castings. Too bad. I'd try and salvage it somehow, like casting it in concrete? I wish my 1460 had roller bearings. Harry's the man---
    roller bearings?

Um, duct tape? Lots of it.

Glad you are okay.

Blake, yes Timken bearings believe it or not. This is the only Delta model I have seen with them. They are oil bath instead of grease too. Kinda make you wonder why they used such flimsy castings. I think the Conover has them too. (Roller bearings, not flimsy castings)

Good thing it was still covered under warranty and you didn't get hurt

Hmmm there is a huge Timken operation about 30 min from here in Keene NH... I hear they are pretty much top notch for bearings...

Post Headstock is "not repairable"

I believe that the headstock is a white zinc metal and is not repairable. I would not try to repair that even if it were possible. Best thing to do would be find another headstock as you have done~ Try not to exceed the lathes handling and you wont have any problems.
    good luck
    Brian

The lathe is alive again thanks to Ray Binnicker.... fixing the headstock was almost as fun as turning itself... now back to learning how to turn!