Thread: question for turners

question for turners

Does either a Jet or Delta midi lathe w/bed extension perform well enough to make the ocasional set of legs?
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Wouldn't know why not!

I've had one for a couple years and have tended to really overwork it. I've turned it's maximum many times on hollow forms. Turning a spindles should be no problem as long as it's less than 8" or so and under the length allowable. The larger diameter, the lighter touch may be needed to turn, but other than that, it should be a great application!
    Gary Hern
    St. Louis, MO.

Making sawdust is more fun than cleaning it up!

I agree, it should be just fine! I have the Jet mini, and I have found it to be a solid, well made little lathe. I like it better than my full size Jet (1236). With the extension you should be fine turning long spindles.

Scott.

Hi Bill

The Jet or Delta mini with bed extension would work fine for making table legs and similar spindles.

There are a lot of used lathes which would make a better lathe for turning furniture parts. The old deltas and the Powermatic 45s are terrific lathes for turning furniture part! These old lathes were designed to make table legs.

Thanks

Richard
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Hi Bill

The largest spindle I have been able to turn with my Vicmarc mini, which is similar in size to the Jet and Delta, is 14 ft. That's right, feet. I used it for the tailstock lathe when I turned the mast for my sailboat.

The lathes about which you are asking will do fine for spindle work the size of normal table legs. In fact, if you look at some older spindle lathes, they didn't have much more swing. Build a sturdy stand, and you are ready to go.

Bill

Bill,

Michele started out with a delta Midi Lathe. She has made many spindles with the lathe. She had a tuff time giving it up when she got her present lathe.
    Guy
    <b><i>Master of the Hounds from Hell</i></b>