Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used the HF spindle sander? (Other suggestions?)

Anyone used the HF spindle sander? (Other suggestions?)

All, the current issue of Wood Magazine lists the HF spindle sander for $75 and there is a 20% off coupon. I know technically you aren't supposed to use two coupons on one thing, but I have gotten away with it before. If I could get the spindle sander for $60 it would be nice.

Just wondering on the quality and if there are other cheap spindle sanders out there.

I currently don't have a bandsaw so I don't do a lot of curved work.. mostly small items.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Probably worth the gamble

I don't have direct experience, but that one seems to be a near-spittin' image of my 5-YO Ryobi that Home Depot used to sell. Same color, same oval CI top, same plastic inserts, approximately the same price (I paid $99 on sale) - the only difference seems to be how the accessories are stored around the perimeter.

I never expected the Ryobi to last 5 years, but it is still going strong despite frequent use in a hobbiest application. Not too long ago, I noticed that the local HD still had the sanding sleeves in stock.

Jeff, if you don't have another stationary power sander already, you might want to also look at the Ridgid oscillating spindle sander, which includes an oscillating belt sander. It's about 3x the price of the one you're asking about, admittedly, but for me its 10x as useful as a spindle sander alone would be. You may have thought of this already, but if not I think its worth considering.

There are tons of posts about it here, usually as the OSS, mostly very favorable, which is what convinced me to get one.

I've got the Performax version from Menards. Its acceptable.

People love the Ridgid too and its more versatile, but over 3x the price.

I do not have the HF spindle sander, but I have heard that it's a decent value. And for $75, it's hard to go wrong.

I looked at that sander the other day when I was in HF and when I picked it up, it just felt a little light to me. I am watching for a price drop or Decent %off coupon this holiday season for the Rigid one. I dont like the top so much, but it was listed in Fine Woodworking Magazine as one of their 10 Best Buys.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wittler View Post
    I looked at that sander the other day when I was in HF and when I picked it up, it just felt a little light to me. I am watching for a price drop or Decent %off coupon this holiday season for the Rigid one. I dont like the top so much, but it was listed in Fine Woodworking Magazine as one of their 10 Best Buys.
    I sure haven't seen that Ridgid one on sale very often (if ever). I think the best you could do on it would be a 10% off "movers" coupon and then taking your chances with getting 15% rebate from Ridgid's "friends and family" promotion they are running now. But I'm still waiting for $200 from the September version of that, so I'm not real thrilled about their rebate process at this point.

I've had this sander for over a year now and have it used it quite a bit. Before I bought it I was concerned about the shape of the table. That's turned out to be a non-issue.

The HF OSS, except for the color scheme, also appears to be a clone of the Triton OSS:

http://www.sanderreviews.com/item/B00196LJ86

If I remember correctly, I paid $90 bucks for mine. It has performed well and I'd buy it again for my needs.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Occasionally the Rigid sander shows up as a reconditioned tool on Homedepot.com, for I think $150. There isnt one there now so I cant confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    ...still waiting for $200 from the September version of that, so I'm not real thrilled about their rebate process at this point.
    I have been waiting for a $50.00 rebate from Canon for a printer for almost 2 years, and they even contacted me by e-mail to ask if I had received it, I replied immediately with a "NO" and still never received anything, I don't put much stock in rebates. I am not in a big hurry for it, so I will watch Craigslist and Such, Would like to get a used one on the cheap and fabricate a new table top for it.

Ridgid in my shop. Only HF power tool in the WHITE COTTAGE shop is a dust collector that does a good job after 1 micron bags from Highland cleared the clouds.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    All, the current issue of Wood Magazine lists the HF spindle sander for $75 and there is a 20% off coupon. I know technically you aren't supposed to use two coupons on one thing, but I have gotten away with it before. If I could get the spindle sander for $60 it would be nice.

Just wondering on the quality and if there are other cheap spindle sanders out there.

I currently don't have a bandsaw so I don't do a lot of curved work.. mostly small items.
    I am planning on buying the HF spindle sander though it is on sale for $99. Was there a coupon in wood mag that made it $75. I know where to get the 20% off coupon but starting out at $75 would be a lot better.

I was just at a friends house today and he has the ryobi spindle sander and it seems close to identical to the HF. It even has a 5/8 stroke just like the HF spindle sander. He says the ryobi is great though he did mention how he would like to have the rigid sander with the belt (like others have posted) but didn't like the price difference.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    I am planning on buying the HF spindle sander though it is on sale for $99. Was there a coupon in wood mag that made it $75. I know where to get the 20% off coupon but starting out at $75 would be a lot better.
    Keep in mind that using the 20% off coupon with another coupon (like this one for the sander or the $139 one for the dust collector) is a big YMMV. technically it says something like "may not be combined with other offers" on most coupons. But some have had success in asking nice at HF and getting them to take both coupons for a single item. I have never had that success though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    Also, are you sure that it's in the current issue of "Wood" magazine? I didn't see it in there when I looked at the HF ad the other day. Did I miss it or could it have been in another woodworking magazine.

bump.

Has anyone actually seen this $75 coupon and can report exactly what magazine it is in?