Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lumber rack

I'm mlooking to build the same type of rack system. I have a basement shop with poured concrete walls, I was going to go every 24" on center. Do you think I need to bring it down to 16" on center as the wood might sag? I have a free supply of old 6X6 and 1" OD pipe, so this will be very strong.....

Blog Entries
    I had every 24" and moved to every 16". not so much in fear of sag along a long board but I always seems to end up with a board end that hung 22" out in space. Even that was OK till you started stickering other boards on top of it. Just my experience. Your use and mileage may vary ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wayne,

That's a nice functional rack!

Question about the Gorilla filter stickin' out the wall. I take it that was to save space? Where's the plumbing??

Jim

great rack, but one word of caution.

black pipe is only painted with a crappy paint. if oak gets next to any type of iron/ steel and there is the least bit of moisture you are going to get a very nasty black stain on your lumber. if you have a section for oak, you might consider sleeving those pipes with some pvc pipe to prevent this from happening

lou

I like the rack, but I can't stop looking at the tools!

Nice.

I made a similar rack, only I used 2x4's on edge, and mine is only on the upper half of the wall. Under it I have my plywood and cutoff cart. I cut pieces of ordinary garden hose to cover the pipes so the metal wouldn't mark the wood.

What is the plastic sheet for?

re: 16" vs. 24"

just a thought-- if you go 24" it is easy to see how long a board is from a distance. I have occassionally found this to be a nice feature when needing a certain length board. (2-4-6-8-10-etc.)

I build a rack like this a few weeks ago. 2x4s on edge are more than adequate even for 1" black pipe. 4x4s are overkill, but they do look nice.

I need a new rack solution. I had considered building something like this and ruled it out because I thought the crappy walls of my tract house might fall down with the weight. Now I see that a lot have built these. Anyone do anything special? my walls are 2 by 4 studs. I'd be storing about 500-1000 bd ft.

that is just slicker than,err well you know, just downright awesome..
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Wood rack

Excellent work. Looks like it is built to last. I find one fault with your shop though. It's TOO CLEAN!! Get in there and make some sawdust!

Wayne, that rack is bomber! Nice work! Taking those 4x4s all the way to the floor would take any shear forces out of play on your lags.

Like others here, I'm also impressed with your shop and would love to see a shop photo-tour some time!

I built something very similar to this using jointed and squared 2x4's sandwiched between 2 1/2" x 7/8" oak. This forms a sort of i-beam. These beams were then clamped next to one another and holes for the pipe were marked every 6". Beams were glued and screwed placing a screw between every pipe hole.
    After the beams were ready I leveled a PT 2x6 on the concrete floor, attached a 2x6 to the ceiling and treated the beams like wall studs, cutting each to fit. As the bottom plate was level and the reference for the holes was from the bottom all the holes lined up.
    I've built two of these now for different walls of the shop and the only thing I'd ever do different (provided I had the space) would be a double sided rack.
    I'm curious if anyone can tell me if there's a difference in strength between galvanized pipe and the regular black pipe?
    I just joined SMC recently; it's cool to see how others have implemented very similar designs!
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    I'm curious if anyone can tell me if there's a difference in strength between galvanized pipe and the regular black pipe?
    I can't speak to the strength question and don't mean to just blurt out information but, black pipe can stain your material where galvo doesn't. The savings in cost between the pipe product would be quickly eaten up by fouled material I would think(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Jeff:

Can't answer your question, but, welcome to SMC.