Thread: 3520B electrical question

3520B electrical question

Believe it or not, the last time Woodcraft had the 3520B on sale (I think it was May) I bought one and it has been in the crate in my shed since then. If you would have told me at that time that it still wouldn't be set up in November, I would have told you that you've lost your mind. Anyway, life being what it is, things happen. But I'm ready to set it up now. My question is this. I haven't opened the box yet but this morning I will be going in the area where I can get the electrical components that I need. I have the 20A breaker. I plan on installing a receptacle near the circuit panel. Does the lathe come corded and I just need to install a plug? Or do I need to purchase wire and a plug? The run will only be about 10'.
    If I need wire, what size? 12-3?
    Thanks for the help.

It's corded but you need a plug. Make sure the plug you get is compatible with your 220 outlet.

It only draws 6.2 amps

The lathe only draws 6.2 amps at 220v so all you really need is a 15 amp breaker and 14 gauge wire. But if you have the circuit already run with a 20amp breaker you need the 12 gauge wire. The plug and outlet should be bought at the same time so you get the correct combination. The breaker protects the wire so you will have plenty of juice to run the lathe.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jim the cord on the lathe is only about 6 feet long so make sure the receptable is close to the lathe.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

Thanks for the replies. I opned the box to see just how long the cord is. There is no cord. Just as well. If it would have been only 6' I need 12' anyway. Off to the big box for supplies.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Slovik View Post
    There is no cord
    Really? My wife's 3520b is still in the crate waiting for Christmas. I'm running the 20A circuit now, I thought all I'd need would be a plug.

Luckily, I have 20' of 6/3 machinery cable in the shop.

Check the back of the head stock. It should have a cord hanging there. I've never heard of one coming without a cord.

I just assembled mine this week and there was a cord attached. It is 5 to 6 feet long - no plug.

Larry

After Cyril said it was corded I PM'd him to ask him how long the cord was. He said about 6'. I knew that wasn't going to be long enough but I thought I'd take a look at the cord and buy a longer length of exactly the same cord. I looked on the back of the headstock first, no cord, Then I proceeded to open every box that came with it, no cord anywhere. As I read the owners manual under "Electric Power Connection" it says "This lathe is shipped without a cord". Maybe this is something new.

Jim: Must be something new. I just got mine from Woodcraft 3 weeks ago and like everyone's said it usually comes with the 6' cord and no plug. You might want to call WMH tech support to ask why. Oh well, now you can make the cord length to fit your needs. I made a 12 ' extension cord(used 10/3 which was overkill) for my table saw so got the same plug and receptacle to use the extension also for the lathe. Got the materials from the borg.
    Enjoy...it's a great lathe!