Thread: Bandsaw question

Bandsaw question

I have narrowed it down to the Laguna LT14 SUV bandsaw or the Grizzly G0514x2b. This is a tough choice seeing that they are both the same price. Can anyone help..MK

Those are sweet looking saws. Look forward to your review after you've used one for a while.
    ken

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I don’t know anything about either saw. I have heard a lot more positives about Grizzly CS than I have about Luguna’s
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I have the Grizzly G0514x2b. This is my first bandsaw, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have been happy with it. It has done everything I have needed it to. I have resawed 11" Oak and Maple with it, which it handled with ease. I thought it was fairly easy and straighforward to assemble and adjust. I had one minor issue with a bandsaw tire that broke. Customer service was excellent and had a new one in the mail right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have heard a lot more positives about Grizzly CS than I have about Luguna’s
    +1 for that.

I have the G0513x2 and it is great. I hear great things about the 514 and Laguna saws. I guess it depends on if the 5" of throat space or the 2" of extra resaw is more important.

I purchased the Laguna in question back in June and couldn't be happier. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115939 For less $$$ I could have had my choice of a number of larger saws from various manufacturers, but just don't have the space for them. I don't think there is a more capable 14" saw on the market, but you are comparing a 14 to a 19" saw. Here are some observations:

For a Chinese machine, the fit and finish on the Laguna is immaculate. Never seen a Grizz, so can't comment.
    If you have the space, and think the extra blade to column capacity will be useful, the Laguna may not be for you. OTOH, the little saw has two more inches of resaw capacity, and the ponies to do it with. If this is a concern, go Laguna.
    As would be expected, the Grizz has the weight advantage-or disadvantage, if you choose to look at it that way, 200#.
    The Laguna ceramic guides are superb. I understand Grizzly has an option for this, but haven't heard anything about preformance, good or bad.
    If you are a wide band sort of guy, the Grizzly will handle one up to 1 1/4" vs. 1". The Grizzly also requires a longer band (143" vs. 125). If you ever intend to go with carbide, this could end up being significant.
    The Laguna is powered by Leeson, can't say with the other one.
    You don't list your location, but my guess would be that unless you lived right on top of Laguna, you won't get one shipped for $94, like the Grizzly. Shipping on mine was $218, but got in on a free shipping promo.
    The Laguna comes with a quite capable fence-locks solid and adjustable for drift, with a high/low orientation. No miter gauge though.
    After that, on paper anyway, they seem to be pretty much comparable. I've had no need for C/S from Laguna, but they were quite responsive during the initial sale. Of course, C/S from Grizzly is legendary. It just boils down to your personal needs in a bandsaw.

Here are two more thoughts:

If you go with Laguna, there are better options (IMHO) than the mobility kit for sale with this machine.
    No matter which saw you decide on, if resawing is of any concern to you, keep an eye on the Driftmaster fence from Laguna. Even though the fence supplied was good, this is the slickest resaw fence going, and will certainly enhance the capabilities of any good bandsaw. It's spendy for a fence, but is often promo'd. I got mine for $100 off.

If you have any questions specific to the Laguna, feel free to ask. I'm the only one that I'm aware of that has this specific model on this forum, as it is a fairly recent addition to the Laguna lineup. Good luck.