Thread: Second Bowl and a Wand

Second Bowl and a Wand

Apparently these front seat of the car pictures are going to be a regular thing from me...

This bowl was much easier to turn than my last one and felt much "smoother" if that makes sense. I didn't plan on doing the curved lip, but things were going so well I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I'm not sure what makes the lighter colored splotches on the inside show up in the photos, they don't look that way to my eye and the sides feel smooth to me.

The wand was just something fun I decided to try for the kids to play with. Surprisingly, though, my wife has had more fun with it than they have . It's a little plain, but I wasn't sure what would look good on a wand and I didn't want to make it too busy.

Phil, I like the bowl. However, as someone that has seen a few impaled objects in people, the wand would make me nervous. It is too pointy, IMHO. A child could easily fall on it or inadvertently gouge an eye. No offense meant, but I would definitely round off that end more. As far your other half... If I made a wand for mine, she would probably cast a spell on me to make more x-mas gifts and stop buying tools.. Happy turning.

Nice bowl Phillip. What kind of wood?
    Richard in Wimberley

Ron, the wand isn't quite as pointy as it looks in the photos. Something about the way it's angled away from the camera makes it look pointier than it really is. It might still need to be a little more rounded, but we don't keep it where the kids can get it unsupervised.

Richard, I wish I could tell you. My dad brought me a stack of bowl blanks he cut from several different types of wood and I'm pretty horrible at identifying it.

Nice looking bowl. It looks like the white areas are only on the end grain so maybe it has something to do with the way the finish took in the end grain... Who knows?

The wood looks a bit like cherry to me but can't imagine that there's a lot of cherry in Alabama.

Nice work on both Phillip! When you notice that the bowl is cutting smoother - then you know that you have a sharp tool and are using it at the right angle! With time that becomes almost second nature!

Keep turning - it gets easier, you get better and it becomes more funner!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

maybe you didn't sand enough on those spots?
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Great job on both, Phil, and I would guess that the light areas that are showing up are some type of contaminant under the finish that reflects the flash, but doesn't show in normal light. It may have been in the wood, or picked up during sanding, handling, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Key View Post
    ...my wife has had more fun with it than they have . It's a little plain, but I wasn't sure what would look good on a wand and I didn't want to make it too busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    f... If I made a wand for mine, she would probably cast a spell on me to make more x-mas gifts and stop buying tools..
    Clearly, the wand is so that Phil's wife can better "conduct the show!" That is the primary responsibility of my wife, and she does an excellent job. I have found that things go much smoother if I just follow the director!

Good job on both of those.
    Expensive photo tent though.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Great looking pieces. Really nice job on both.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.