Thread: Wood screw storage Ideas

Wood screw storage Ideas

I have a big workbench.. I have hung drawers under it in a few places.. Thinking about adding another, just for wood screws..

I want to open a drawer and see 20 - 30 little cube shaped holes, full of different size and length screws..

Anybody have any ideas for somthing like this ? Anything better?

I use the one quart plastic yellow oil cans for fastener storage. Cut the top off of them and soak them in detergent to get rid of the oil film. They are indestructible and sit perfectly on a 2 by 4 shelf. I can write on the cans with a china marker so i know what is in each container.

I have a few sets of card catalogs from librarys. These were graduated with slots, so I cut some boards and stuck them in the slots, giving me little storage spaces in a drawer I can pull out. these are expensive today to buy, but if you find some, buy them.

Rick - I have 2 drawers under the bench - a divider side-to-side about halfway back so I don't have to routinely pull the drawers out farther than that.

I got tired of being 3 screws short, so I buy them by the box, and get another box when I'm getting low. I leave the screws in the boxes they came in - felt tip marker to write on the top what is in them. The boxes are just set in place by size and length. 6 x 1/2" through 8 x 2-1/2" in boxes, and then some pigeon holes (that started life as a screw box) behind the divider for 10, 12, 14 - what ever oddball sizes I had to buy by the piece. Second drawer has brass, stainlesss steel, other specialty screws. Many in full boxes, some in pigeonholes. Oh - and a spot for the container full of wax.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I've seen screw assortments from McFeely's that come in a Festool Systainer. If you would like to be able to set you screw assortment on the bench where you can get at them more easily, cubby holes sized for that or other type of container might be a good idea.
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 12-10-2009 at 9:14 AM. Reason: typo

About two months ago I picked up some wire nails at HD and they were in these plastic containters with a wide mouth. Small enough for storing nails, woodscrews, ect.. I like them so much I did a search on the name on the bottom of the container (CCW). Now you have to buy a case of these things but if you have a buddie that will go in with you then it might be an idea.....check out the link. Not as free as old cans ect but they are handy and store well.

http://www.ccwproducts.com/products.php

I picked up a box full of those plastic freezer storage containers used for canning goods from a rummage sale. They are plastic and aproximately 4 inches x 4 inches x 4 inches and work great. I think they still sell them. Check the canning supplies area. They have lids, but I don't use them.

I use a bin cup from Grainger.

Large Bin Cup, Length 5 In, Width 2 3/4 In, Height 3 In, Material Polypropylene, Translucent, Use With Plastic Shelf Bins
    Grainger Item # 1UGR9

Small Bin Cup, Height 3 Inches, Length 3 1/4 Inches, Width 2 Inches, Fits all Plastic Shelf Bins, Lifts Out Easily. Only shipped in quantities of 48.
    Grainger Item # 4TJ75

I like this type of organizer, as I can take the screws to the project, when necessary. Not every job can be worked on in the shop or at the bench.

There are other versions with different compartment sizes, etc.
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-014708...461334&sr=1-14

+1 for John's idea. These are the exact same containers I use. I get them at Harbor Freight, about $15.00 for the largest one without a coupon. They make several other sizes as well. They stack real nice too.
    Last edited by Nick Mastropietro; 12-10-2009 at 11:35 AM.

I use the plastic, empty, koolaid containers. Easy enough to write on them and they come with a screw top. Simple.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"