Thread: Belt Sander???

Belt Sander???

Anyone use a belt sander to sharpen? I have been reading up on it, sounded good so I gave it a go. All I can say is WOW!!! What a great job. I may have to set up a system. Some links.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Those are some interesting links. I am currently using the disk of my bench sander, never tried the belt side.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

Gary, I'm currently using a Sorby Pro Sharpening sysytem which is a belt style. It uses a 2" wide belt and has an assortment of various holding jigs. So far, I really like it. When cutting wood, there's a differnce in tool control between a flat grind and a hollow grind. I like the flat grind.

Yep

Strange as it sounds I use my belt sander to sharpen my lawn mower blades. I slap the blades in a vice and hit them with 100 grit and then check the balance. Not too fast or they'll turn blue. I'm done in 5 min.

I just gave it a go on my little porta cable belt sander, works pretty well. Thanks

Gary,
    thanks for the links, lost hermans link.Herman inspired me when I first started using a belt sander.
    I have a set up with all the different ideas that people have come up with to use a belt sander. I really like the Sorby pro edge its just to pricey for me.
    Keith