Thread: Black & White Venneers

Black & White Venneers

Hey all,

I know this seems pretty lame, but I am looking for a place to buy Black and White veneer for some small turnings I am hoping to make before Christmas is actually here.

I looked on Rockler's & Woodcraft's webpages, but didn't get any hits. I don't live near any great WWing stores and was wondering what other sources to hit?

I can't really shop online right now because I am getting a later start then I hoped.

Can you pick this stuff up at a Micheals or Hobby Lobby type crafts store? Or is their a close enough heavy duty craft paper that you could get away with?

Thanks

Chris
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

Woodcraft

Woodcraft has all sorts of- - V E N E E R - - Black and white too. http://www.woodcraft.com/Search/Search.aspx?query=veneer

unless you absolutely need wood, check out the pickguard material that is available at Grizzley.com. Many pen turners use this to accent their writing instruments.

Depending on what you are doing with it, laminated construction paper works wonders. Just glue up as many layers as you need to get the thickness you want.

I get most of my veneers from B&B rare woods in CO. They have dyed costello in several colors including black. For white I always use maple in my segmented turnings though holly would be whiter and also more expensive.

As mentioned, both Woodcraft and Rockler have black and white veneer, along with many other colors and species. A bit pricey, but local.