Thread: Big Chucks - Where can I find one?

Big Chucks - Where can I find one?

I was watching Mike Mahoney's latest video - Heirlooms (great vid by the way) and I noticed the chucks he was using. Does anyone know what kind it is and where to get one?

Happy Holidays!

Tim
    Wood works well with winter

Not sure as I had not seen it but he likes the big Vicmarc.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I know he uses the Vicmark chucks. You could e-mail him and ask which set ups he uses.

robo hippy

Yeah, that is a good video. He is using Vicmarc chucks there, like he always does.

Talk to Christian at Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas. Have to call as the website does not allow ordering. He is the US distributor for Vicmarc lathes and chucks and will get you fixed up in no time.

You can also go to vicmarc.com and check out their full line of chucks, jaws, etc. there. VM 120 is the 5.5 inch chuck you're talking about. You might also want to check out the VM150, which operates either as a tommy-bar type chuck or an allen key t-handle.

Vicmarc also makes a smaller chuck, although with the variety of jaws for the 120, it is not really necessary to go to a smaller chuck to hold smaller work.

HTH

I bought a Nova Titan with the Power Grip jaws. Holds anything I've ever put on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Also note that Mike often uses a tommy-bar style Vicmarc chuck -- that is an older model that Vicmarc no longer sells (as far as I know). The closest thing on the market to that is the Oneway tommy-bar chuck. As noted, the VM150 can work as a tommy-bar chuck too, but it is a lot bigger (thicker) than the one Mike uses.

If you are just looking for a large capacity chuck, the VM120/150 or Oneway Stronghold (among others) are good chucks to look at. The right set of jaws is more important than the chuck body.

Craft Supply also sells the Vicmarc chucks. I own two, and they are great chucks.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress