Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here comes the snow

Good for you guys, I hope the rest of the white stuff goes your way this winter. Have fun digging out. Is it suposed to get cold after the storm? Usually does here. We have already had 2 mornings when it was -15 air temp already. The 20's we have had the last couple of days almost feels like summer. Almost ready to get out the pool. Good luck stay warm.

It's been snowing here since I got up this morning. We're supposed to to be in the 12" - 18" range according to Accu-weather

I can recall two times that it snowed in my hometown when I was growing up. Both times it snowed just enough, and stuck around long enough, for my mother to make something she called "snow cream". It probably isn't safe to eat snow these days (it probably wasn't then but I survived) but if anyone wants to send me a big ol' Mason jar full of snow cream I be right obliged!

We've just dropped down into daytime highs in the upper 50s and got lots of wet stuff yesterday, but it was the melted kind.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

It seems all the low pressure areas have moved south this year. Meaning Ohio and parts south are getting nailed.
    1" here last night. Still haven't had to fire up the snow thrower.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Over a foot of snow and still going strong here. My back can already feel the effects of shoveling and I havent even started yet!!
    Jim, I have a extra room you can stay in for the winter and a decent sized shop to play in
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Jim, I have a extra room you can stay in for the winter and a decent sized shop to play in
    Dave,

You forgot to tell him to bring the rest of the band.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dave,

You forgot to tell him to bring the rest of the band.
    He can bring um all.....the more the merryer
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Welcome to winter! I put my studded snow tires on my company van Monday. I only had to wait 3 hours to have it done!
    Aw, Ken, you don't really get snow down there, do you? Up here in Spokane we look at Lewiston as being right smack in the banana belt.

Carlos

Getting blasted here. I've seen a fair amount of snow, but I've never seen snow like this. It's very deceptive. Last night it was very fine flakes, not blizzard like, just steady fine flakes. I cleaned the walk and my truck, went inside, came out about 5 minutes later, you couldn't see anything I did. Brushed it all back off the truck, cleaned the sidewalk. 5 minutes later. Covered. I rode to the dump and it hadn't started snowing. Literally 15 minutes later, the roofs on houses were starting to get covered, yet if you stood out in it, it seemed like it was hardly snowing.

We're at the 12-18" level now in this area, with probably another 8-10" on the way. If I heard the numbers right, this may be the biggest mid December snowfall in our city's recorded weather history. If not, it's in the top few.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Here's a pic a friend who lives just outside of DC just posted on another forum a few minutes ago, lookin' pretty nasty down there. Not a single flake here in the lower Hudson Valley yet but a really big flock of Canadian geese just landed on the river (and I suppose they'll be leaving their usual presents on the riverwalk!):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Winter's coming!

Here is one from Baltimore. Shot from the front door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

18" and still getting hammered (with snow that is). Ok the novelty has definitely worn off of this stuff now. Oh well got a warm shop, 10 pen kits and 4 dry bowls to finish turn so what the heck right!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Seconds half of the storm never did anything today. Started out, but then just died. No accumulation throughout the day today, so far, which is good. I'm tired of digging front wheel drive cars out of the snow.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Angry

Here in central WV we got about a foot. Worst thing it was a wet sticky snow and it has broke down a lot of trees. My electricity went off around 7am and it probably won't be on for a few days. I had to go get some gas for the generator this afternoon and the road was covered with tree, someone had used a chain saw and had a one way road through them. The last time something like this happened we were without electric for a week.

We don't have snow in Kentucky, but we don't have our NYC kid (30) home either. He has been cancelled 3 times (3 days).

Wife is torn up.